Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 08:46 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

No images when viewing over internal network

rv8

Forum User
Regular Poster

I installed geeklog 1.3.6 last night to try out. I've got it running locally on one of our Macs for testing (call it Machine A), and it works great when I access it from that machine. However, if I access it from another of our Macs (Machine Cool, over our home network, I only get the text, but not the images.

I am accessing the page from Machine B using the URL http://192.168.123.120, where this IP is the IP of Machine A.

I looked at the page source when viewing the geeklog page from Machine B. I noted that the image URLs are absolute URLs, starting form 127.0.0.1 (i.e. localhost), which is obviously the problem.

Example:

img border="0" src="http://127.0.0.1/layout/XSilver/images/container-left-top-corner.gif" width="6" height="22" alt=""

I would like to be able to edit and preview my site on my laptop, sitting comfortably in front to the TV, watching the Packers smoke the Patriots. What do I need to do to get the images to come across the local network?

Not sure if this matters, but both Machines are Macs, running OS X 10.1.5. Apache 1.3 (according to the documentation package).

Thanks,

Kevin

Kevin Horton

jahnkehole

Anonymous
You need to make sure that your config.php contains the actual URL that users will be using to access your GeekLog site. This almost certainly the issue. Don't confuse this with the line in config.php that references the local file path of the GeekLog installation.

rv8

Forum User
Regular Poster
Thanks! That did it. I changed the site URL to 192.168.123.120, which is the correct URL when coming in from the home network. I had it set to 127.0.0.1 before, which is correct when using the localhost. It still works OK from the localhost now, but I'm darned if I understand how this works. Tomorrow I'll start working on setting up the site to see if I can get it to look and work like what I want. I'll probably have more questions. Take care, Kevin
Kevin Horton

rv8

Forum User
Regular Poster

Well, I thought I was over the hump on this problem, but it obviously isn't as simple as I thought.

I discovered that if I change the site URL to 192.168.123.120, everything looks fine on the machine that GL is on, and the other machine on my home network. But, I can only log in from the second machine. I need to change the site URL back to 127.0.0.1 if I want to log in from the local machine. This problem is discussed at http://www.geeklog.net/article.php?story=20020912055721562

So, is there any way to set things up so I can log in from either machine, and have the images come across to other machines on the home network? I can't be the only guy that works on a GL site from two different machines on a home network. Maybe I need to learn to set up a domain name server. I don't know squat about those Frown

Kevin Horton

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
Did you mess with any of the cookie settings in the config.php file? If so, revert them back to their defaults and make sure it works that way first.---The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.

rv8

Forum User
Regular Poster
I thought about fooling around with the cookie settings once I discovered the login problems, but I wasn't brave enough. They read: $_CONF['cookie_session'] = 'gl_session'; $_CONF['cookie_name'] = 'geeklog'; $_CONF['cookie_password'] = 'password'; $_CONF['cookie_theme'] = 'theme'; $_CONF['cookie_language'] = 'language'; $_CONF['cookie_lastvisit'] = 'LastVisit'; $_CONF['cookie_lastvisittemp'] = 'LastVisitTemp'; $_CONF['cookie_ip'] = 0; $_CONF['default_perm_cookie_timeout'] = 604800; $_CONF['session_cookie_timeout'] = 7200; $_CONF['cookie_path'] = '/'; $_CONF['cookiedomain'] = ''; $_CONF['cookiesecure'] = 0; Kevin
Kevin Horton

rv8

Forum User
Regular Poster
Well, I'm making progress, but I'm not quite there yet. I did some research on DNS, then set up the hosts files on my two machines. Now I can use the same URL no matter which machine I log in from. Now I can log in from either machine, and most of the images are coming over to the remote machine OK. All the images from the theme are working fine on both machines. And some pictures in stories are coming over to the remote machine, but both pictures in one story are not being displayed. They all display fine from the machine that is hosting the GL database. So, something must be different between the story that the pictures work on, and the one where they don't. That is probably a good clue to the problem, but I don't know enough about GL to know what to look for. Does anyone have any ideas what to look for? Thanks, Kevin
Kevin Horton

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:46 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content