Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, April 24 2024 @ 09:23 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Strange login 1.3.6

gtielemans

Anonymous
When I login as a user, It shows on the page that I am in, but does not show the right menu's on the left like: account information or my calendar on the left.
It even happens when I login as admin! (Theme of admin does change as I did choose.)

Do I login as admin at the backdoor in subdir admin/ I have to login twice before I get access, but then I get the correct user functions...

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

That is the same issue which has already been discussed here a couple of times, e.g. in this story.

Please remember to use the search function before posting.

bye, Dirk

Anonymous

Anonymous
A possibility not covered by Dirk's link is if you are using php4.x and apache2.x. I could not get them to play nicely on the authentication - other people have noticed the same in phpbb (forum program). I had to downgrade to apache 1.3.6 (which I should have been using from the start as php4 is not recommended with apache 2 yet) Alex. (www.kerin.us)

gtielemans

Anonymous
Yes, I use a foxserv implementation. Postnuke does not suffer from this login problem, but now you say it, several other products have also strange authorization habits. (Can Geeklog repair this for Geeklog?)

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
The reason for this problem is simple: Your login information is stored in a cookie. That cookie is bound to a URL. So if your site is at www.yoursite.com and you log in, the cookie stores the login information for www.yoursite.com. If you now go to yoursite.com (without the www), the cookie will not be sent (because it is a different URL) and Geeklog will not recognise you. So you should decide which variation you prefer (with or without the www) and from then on always use that URL everywhere. It may make sense to set up your webserver so that it redirects people who come in with the "wrong" URL to the "correct" one ... bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:23 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content