Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 09:38 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

php.ini

lisajames

Anonymous
Hi, I'm trying to install geeklog for the first time. When I try to run install.php, I can't get past step one. I believe the problem is due to the following: "Geeklog needs the register_globals variable turned on in order to work. Since PHP 4.2.0, the default for register_globals is "off". To fix it, simply add the following line to your php.ini file: register_globals=on" My site host is running PHP 4.2.2. and the php.ini file is in /usr/local/lib/. Since I can't access that directory, is there any way around this? Or do I have to beg my site host to make this change for me? I am not good at begging or cajoling.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Does the Geeklog install script tell you that register_globals is off? If you see this message: "You have register_globals = Off in your php.ini. However, Geeklog requires register_globals to be on. Before you continue, please set it to on and restart your web server." just above the dropdown where you select New Database / Upgrade Database, then register_globals is indeed off and, yes, you need to beg your hosting service to switch it on (actually, I can't believe any hosting service can afford yet to switch register_globals off since it would break so many scripts that it would make PHP support widely unusable for it's customers). If you don't see that message, then register_globals is probably on and the problem you have is something else. bye, Dirk

ndarlow

Forum User
Junior
Actually, begging might not be necessary. The ini_set function entry for register_globals specifies INI_PERDIR and INI_SYSTEM. The INI_PERDIR facility indicates that register_globals may be controlled via a .htaccess file in the appropriate directory. You might want to try this before asking your provider to relax things. -- Neil Darlow M.Sc.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Hey guys. I've been having the same problem with install.php on 1.3.5. When I enter the path and hit next, the screen just refreshes. php.ini has register_globals = On and I even tried playing with .htaccess files.. And nothing yet. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, Im running out of ideas here. - The funny thing is, that 1.3.6rc installed perfectly. Anyways I'll keep working on it and I'll post if I get it fingured out...

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
As of Geeklog 1.3.5sr2, the install script itself will work even when register_globals=off - but it should warn you about it. If you're using an older version (1.3.5 or 1.3.5sr1) and you are thrown back to the first page of the install script, then register_globals is off. Please make sure you're editing the correct php.ini file (use phpinfo() to see where PHP expects it). And don't forget to restart your webserver after you've changed it. bye, Dirk

Anonymous

Anonymous
Ok, I automatically assumed that the php.in in /etc was being used. WRONG!. It was in /usr/local/bin .. Anyway the cool thing is that having register_globals = on fixed a problem I was having with 1.3.6. 1.3.6 would let me log on as admin, but not edit stories, users, or polls (probably other stuff too, but you get the point). Now all is good in my world. If anybody is having problems accessing areas under admin, but you CAN get the the admin menus. Try register_globals = on. THANKS !!

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:38 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content