Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 08:30 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

File attachments

gcoulson

Anonymous
Is there a way that I can set it up so members can upload a file? Also, can they add a picture to the story without using html? Thanks Garland Coulson http://www.ebusinesstutor.com

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
There is a handy PHP class in /path/to/geeklog/system classes called upload.class.php that you can use to implement file upload relatively easy. See public_html/admin/story.php to see the use of this class in action. For the average Joe, there is no way to insert an image into a story without HTML. There is talk of using a new mark-up language (ala BB-Code) and even of allow users to physically attach images to stories on submissions similar to what he admin can do. Neither have been implemented. Should they? If so, which one and why?
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.

krove

Forum User
Junior
In some settings, this can be very useful. In my case, I use GL as our company intranet. In that setting security is not really an issue with regard to protecting against malicious uploading of viruses, etc. It would be great to associate pdfs, reports, excel spreadsheets with stories so that users can get at them right away when I mention them in a story. If this were implemented officially, I would ask the following: - ability to attach files to stories - ability to choose files to be attached to stories contained in a file management plug-in - adding of files attached to stories to the file management plug-in side optionally I think a file management plug in working in tandem with story attachments would be great! I was thinking of implementing the file management module from langfamily.ca and trying to interface it to story attachments, but I haven't had the time to really look the code over. Is anyone working on something this complete?

Anonymous

Anonymous
Some good ideas .. If it is an trusted internal network, one easy solution (partial solution) is to enable the use of the HTML img tag in your implementation. This would allow you to anyone to reference images in a story. Not as friendly but it can work and does not require uploading images. They do need to be located on a webserver somewhere on the internet or intranet.

Additionally you can always reference the file via the url in the story. Get your latest copy of the yada yada file here - a blank link (demo purpose only). The link could in fact be link to the file in the filemgmt repository.

I don't believe you would want to attach the file to the story but use a link anyway.

Blaine

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:30 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content