Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 02:03 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Unable to get 1.3.5 up and running

mattmend

Anonymous
Hi. I am new to GeekLog and attempting to get it up and running but am having some trouble. I've taken the following steps: 1) installed it according to the INSTALL readme in / 2) created an empty database 3) searched online archives for answers Am stumped. I get the following error after I submit the path to geeklog during initial configuration: Parse error: parse error in /home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/config.php on line 46 Fatal error: Failed opening required 'databases/.class.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in /home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/system/lib-database.php on line 90 Please note that for testing purposes, I have installed geeklog below my public_html directory until I'm more familiar with it. I suspect the problem lies with the database which begs the question, don't I have to put a customized connect string for my database somewhere. How will it know where to find the database that I created using my host's installation of phpmysqladmin? Thanks in advance - Matt -- www.idealrhombus.com AIM: MattDaveMend Yahoo: MattDaveMend

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

Well, that first error message should be pretty obvious: There's something wrong in line 46 in your config.php (that's where you enter your database settings).

Please check that line (as well as the lines before and after that line) carefully. My guess would be that you are missing a single quote ' somewhere in those lines.

bye, Dirk

mattmend

Anonymous
Line 46 is the name of the database. I have entered exactly the name of the database I used when I created it earlier. Don't seem to be any 's missing. I'm still confused as to how it knows where to look for the database.

mattmend

Anonymous
There did seem to be an extra space in the comment s that forced it onto another line. I took that out and tried to re-run install again and this time the error changed: Fatal error: Failed opening required '/public_html/geeklog/system/ databases/mysql.class.php' (include_path='.:/usr/local/lib/php') in / home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/system/lib-database.php on line 90

mattmend

Anonymous
Okay. I've managed to get the installer to run...sort of...I got through step 2 and the resulting page showed a built geeklog page at the bottom but preceeding it was this list of errors: Warning: fopen("/home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/logs/error.log", "a"Wink - Permission denied in /home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/ lib-common.php on line 810 Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in / home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/lib-common.php on line 813 Warning: fopen("/home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/logs/error.log", "a"Wink - Permission denied in /home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/ lib-common.php on line 810 Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in / home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/lib-common.php on line 813 Warning: fopen("/home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/logs/error.log", "a"Wink - Permission denied in /home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/ lib-common.php on line 810 Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in / home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/lib-common.php on line 813 Warning: fopen("/home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/logs/error.log", "a"Wink - Permission denied in /home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/ lib-common.php on line 810 Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in / home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/lib-common.php on line 813 Warning: fopen("/home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/logs/error.log", "a"Wink - Permission denied in /home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/ lib-common.php on line 810 Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in / home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/lib-common.php on line 813 Warning: fopen("/home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/logs/error.log", "a"Wink - Permission denied in /home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/ lib-common.php on line 810 Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in / home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/lib-common.php on line 813 Warning: fopen("/home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/logs/error.log", "a"Wink - Permission denied in /home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/ lib-common.php on line 810 Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in / home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/lib-common.php on line 813 Warning: fopen("/home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/logs/error.log", "a"Wink - Permission denied in /home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/ lib-common.php on line 810 Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in / home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/lib-common.php on line 813 Warning: fopen("/home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/logs/error.log", "a"Wink - Permission denied in /home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/ lib-common.php on line 810 Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in / home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/lib-common.php on line 813 Warning: fopen("/home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/logs/error.log", "a"Wink - Permission denied in /home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/ lib-common.php on line 810 Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in / home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/lib-common.php on line 813 Warning: fopen("/home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/logs/error.log", "a"Wink - Permission denied in /home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/ lib-common.php on line 810 Warning: Supplied argument is not a valid File-Handle resource in / home/idealrh/public_html/geeklog/public_html/lib-common.php on line 813 Any ideas?

mattmend

Anonymous
Just go to http://www.idealrhombus.com/geeklog/public_html/ And yes, I've checked that all of the necessary permissions were set correctly (I set them again just to be sure).

mattmend

Anonymous
I've gotten the page to show up but only after chmod'ing the files to 777. Even after I chmod'd log and backend files to 775 I still got the permission errors. Only 777, w hich is obviously not a good idea, fixed the problem. Might it have to do with who owns the entire geeklog directory contents? If so, who should own it? Currently, I have a single login for maintenance on my site and it's owned by that login. Should it be something else?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

Step 3 in the installation instructions tells you to:

For *nix installations do a chown -R <webuser>:<webuser> /path/to/geeklog

Normally, when using a hosting service, you don't need this step. However, since you seem to be using your own server, I would recommend doing as suggested.

bye, Dirk

mattmend

Anonymous
Should I really have to have all of these permissions set to 777? For example, the userphotos upload directory wouldn't allow uploads of photos until the permissions were changed to 777. and the entire site wouldn't function until the log and backend directories were set to 777 even though the install instructions said 755. 777 makes me a bit nervous. Comments?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

No, 777 should clearly be the exception. If you set the webuser as instructed, the permissions given in the installation instructions should usually be enough to get the site up and running.

bye, Dirk

Anonymous

Anonymous
I'm having simlar problems and this is caused by the comments in config.php wrapping to a new line

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:03 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content