Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 23 2024 @ 06:08 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Newbie needs help with chown

roblinrey

Forum User
Junior
Ok I admit I am new to all this. I am reading the install instructions for Geek 1.3.5 (ASCII). I have gone through each step (virtually) and understand each one and how to accomplish it, except step 3 which says "For *nix installations do a chown -R <webuser>:<webuser> /path/to/geeklog". I don't know how to chown. The server I will be using is not mine (a payed service Unix machine) Thanks Rob

bosshogg

Anonymous
I am new to this aswell but I found this in docs/install.html: If you have Shell access to your account, you can do all of the below. If not, you can skip the first part (chown), but the second part can be done from most FTP clients. It is recommended you set your directory permissions, as this makes thing much more secure, and some functions of Geeklog require this. If you cannot do the first part of this, it doesn't matter too much, as it is most likely set up - just remember never give access to Geeklog anyone who your don't fully trust. So you dont have to do it if you can't! Bosshogg

Anonymous

Anonymous
Thanks for the reply. I hope to be up and running soon. I know I can count on people here to help when I need it. Rob

All times are EDT. The time is now 06:08 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content