Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 05:35 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Stuck at Step 1 of Geeklog Installation

Anonymous

Anonymous
I installed geeklog-1.3.5 according to the INSTALL file. When entering the path to geeklog in http://yourgeeklogdomain/admin/install/install.php and pushing the button, something happens but I never get to step 2 because it allway loads step 1. I can enter anything or even nothing but I never get an error message, I am stuck at step 1. The geeklog mysql database is still empty. Any hints?

Thanks in advance.
Marc

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

This sounds like yet another case of register_globals=off in your php.ini. Find that line in that file, change it to =on, restart your webserver and it should work.

bye, Dirk

amckay

Forum User
I notice the new PHP distro now has this off by default (just building it now) due to security concerns.

What kind of effort would be involved in changing GL to work with this off? It sounds like a fairly serious issue, potentially.

Click here for details from PHP.NET

cheers,
-Alan

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

This has been discussed and we decided to leave it as it is and do it right in the upcoming rewrite.

I have done the necessary changes for the install script, the user preferences and the login/logout procedure and I can tell you it is a lot of work that requires lots of changes all over the place. With all theses changes, we risk introducing new bugs in places that worked before, so that's why it was decided to not make the changes in the current code base.

As for the security concerns: AFAICS you can not override Geeklog's security layer this way, so it's not really a security issue. You could, I assume, confuse Geeklog here and there but I have yet to see a case where you could, say, damage the database with this approach.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:35 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content