Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, April 24 2024 @ 08:57 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Geeklog installation versus PostNuke installation

Anonymous

Anonymous
Installing PN is quite easy. Even for me and I'm not a programmer. Download it, unzip it, ftp it to my website, chmod 2 files, run install.php and follow the instructions on screen. I tried to install GL. I gave up. The directory structure is totally unclear. Which files are to be uploaded and where? There are 2 install files. Why? Why not make things easier? I was looking at it again a few days later and it seems to be clear now and I guess I'll manage but the point is: you should still make it easier IMHO... R.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

Sorry about the confusion with the installation instructions. Please follow the plain text file named INSTALL and ignore the HTML file.

If you do that, it's not really that different from the PN installation process you describe.

But of course I'm biased and I can install Geeklog with my eyes closed by now ;-)

bye, Dirk

Anonymous

Anonymous
Some servers like mine, PN is hell. Also on the message boards, it's latest release is practically a disaster when it comes to clearing up installation procedures. Geeklog is simple download, unzip , ftp it, chmod the logs and backend directories. Run install.php and follow the directions. Here's where I had some issues.... I couldn't get through the installation process because I had to chmod the install directory and install.php to at least 755. The second problem I had was "incorrect path" errors but that practically solves itself. On the error page, just copy the full path that's in bold up to your directory name minus the ending slash and use that path during the installation for it to work properly. I hope that it will configure the path automatically in the future but once I got past these issues it was easy. Just follow the instructions in INSTALL and keep what I wrote in mind.

Anonymous

Anonymous
I had no problem installing Geeklog on an ISP-hosted account. I don't even remember if there's an install script or just a config file to edit and a database to create. In any case, though, although (usually, browser-based) install scripts for applications that use typically a precreated empty MySQL database are real easy to use, I've had way more problems with them, and gone back to either the manual instructions, or reading the install script and doing the steps manually, using phpMyAdmin to load tables and starter data. There's nothing more frustrating than a script that gets you stuck a certain point, if you're not a programmer. On the other hand, the straightforward config file, permissions instructions, MySQL file approach, when clear, has been foolproof...

Anonymous

Anonymous
I have to ditto the person who wrote the post. I can install postnuke, phpwebsite etc... But I am about to give up with geeklog. The structure is totally unclear to me. I am completly lost.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
The best thing you can do when you're stuck is to come into IRC (irc.openprojects.net, channel #geeklog). There's usually someone around who can help you. And yes, we are aware that the installation instructions may be a bit too "techy". We're trying to improve that (help on this issue, btw, is welcome ...). bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:57 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content