Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Saturday, April 20 2024 @ 03:05 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Installing from another computer

r3deye

Anonymous
Is it possible to run the install script install.php from a browser on a different computer that the one hosting Geeklog ?

/mathias

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

As you wrote yourself: You run the install script from the browser - it doesn't matter which computer the browser runs on.

That's also the reason why you should remove the install script or secure your install directory once you're finished wit the installation. Otherwise, everyone could run the install script again ...

bye, Dirk

Anonymous

Anonymous
Hmmm... I thought that maybe this was the source of my problems. When I enter the path in install.php and press Next the page only reloads in the browser. I've been trying to install Geeklog for a week now and haven't got past this thing.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

I think someone reported the same problem trying to install on a BSD system. Is this what you're running?

bye, Dirk

Anonymous

Anonymous
That could've been me! :-) I'm running BSD but I've seen two other people having the same problem. One was running OS X and the other one was running RHL 7.2. We have emailed each other an no one has solved the problem

I've tried manual&automatic install on 1.3.4 as well. I know I've chmodded/chowned everything alright and in 1.3.4 I've created the DB successfully. In 1.3.5 I understand that you only need to create the DB and that install.php should solve the rest? Can't get past the first screen in any version though.

r3deye

Anonymous
The above comment was written by me, but I forgot to login.

/mathias

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

Just for the record: I'm installing Geeklog on MacOS X several times per week and the only time I ran into this exact problem was when I tried to install it on PHP 4.2.0 (which is officially "not supported" on OS X anyway).

Does anyone of those who have this problem have some PHP skills so s/he could have a look at where exactly the install script fails? It shouldn't be that hard ...

bye, Dirk

Jason

Forum User
PHP 4.2.0 and later did turn off some things that were on by default in earlier versions. Has anyone installed on 4.2.0 sucessfully? If yes did you compile with or change default settings? (like register-globals = on in php.ini)
You are all a bunch of freaks!

r3deye

Anonymous
Ok, I was running PHP 4.1.2. But it could still be a PHP problem of course.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

I have Geeklog 1.3.5 running on PHP 4.2.0 on Linux. PHP was configured with just --with-mysql --with-apxs. No problems of any kind ...

bye, Dirk

r3deye

Anonymous
I just installed 4.2.0 instead of 4.1.2 five minutes ago, and it seems now like I can install Geeklog. I've only tried with the old 1.3.4 so far... Major success anyway!

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:05 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content