Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Wednesday, April 24 2024 @ 11:48 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

controlling stories.

Jon Lawrence

Anonymous
Hi all,
let's say I've got 3 topics (announce, topic1 & topic2) and 2 groups (group1 & goup2). I need only member of say group1 to be able to post* to 'announce' but members of both groups need to be able to post* to topic1 & topic2.
Is there a way to create groups such that I can limit which topic they can own/edit etc etc.

* by post I mean add new articles/stories.

Also, is there a way to split the topic's block, so that I can have 2 blocks containing stories - where does the code for the topic block exist ?

TIA
Jon

Jon Lawrence

Anonymous
Let me expand on this.
A user needs to be able to add articles to topic1 but mustn't be able to add to announce.
To achieve this I set up group1 & group2. Topic 'announce' has owner group = group1 Topic1 has group2.
The user belongs to group2.
However, it appears that whatever rights I assign to group2 it can either post articles to all groups or none at all.
I must be doing something wrong here - anyone got any pointers

TIA
Jon

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by Jon Lawrence: A user needs to be able to add articles to topic1 but mustn't be able to add to announce.

This has been discussed before: When users can see a topic, they can post articles there. The notion of "read-only topics" has also been discussed before but hasn't been implemented yet.

bye, Dirk

jlawrence

Forum User
Chatty
erm, Dirk, I have users who can read topics fine but that doesn't mean that they can post articles to that topic.
By all means, they can enter a new article and it will sit awaiting moderation.
What I want todo I suppose is limit who is allowed to submit/moderate articles for a given topic. I thought this was what the groups were for. So if Group1 had story.moderate rights, the they'd be able to moderate stories but only for topics to which their group had rights.

Jon
www.plymouthcricketclub.com - providing cricket for all ages in the Plymouth area.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
The problem is that the story.moderate (and story.submit) permissions can not be restricted to certain topics.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:48 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content