Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, March 29 2024 @ 08:36 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

User-joined Groups

derPlau

Forum User

Howdy, folks-

I'm using GeekLog to run a website for a 200-student university course I'm teaching. The main purpose of the site itself is to post announcements about the course, to allow students and instructors to post and discuss questions about course materials, and to provide a one-stop place for instructors (myself and several TA's) to email the students.

The students are split up into about 20 tutorial sections. I've made 20 new Groups, which correspond to these sections. What I'd like to do is include a section on the User Information page where a student can specify his/her tutorial section, which would then automatically tag him/her as a member of the corresponding Group. (The idea is that the TA for a particular section can email all his/her students by mailing to the appropriate Groups). Any suggestions? I'm competent in html, but have no experience hacking php.

I know the instructors could just go in by hand and assign students to individual groups, but that would be a bit of a nightmare; basically I'm looking for a way for users who don't have Group Admin status to assign themselves to a custom Group.

Cheers
--derPlau

jlhughes

Forum User
Making it possible for users to change their own groups would require an understanding of PHP and Geeklog's lib-database, the library of functions for accessing the database. I did this for an elementary school where each grade level was a different group. It was decided that parents should be able to explore other grade levels, so it was necessary that they be able to change the groups they belonged to. If you want to try this, look at html-docs/admin/user.php and how it handles changes in the "Security Groups." Using that as a model, you can work out how to allow users to change just certain groups.

All times are EDT. The time is now 08:36 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content