Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 05:04 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Poll voting problem

pabell

Forum User
Junior
Greetings, I am currently using V 1.3.6 and I noticed that when I created a new poll, and vote just once; the option for other users to vote is disabled. Can anyone shed some light on this situation. Regards Pabell

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
That's on purpose, of course, so that you can't vote again (at least not for some time). It wouldn't make much sense if you could vote as often as you liked, don't you think? Geeklog uses a combination of a cookie and your IP stored in the database to prevent you from voting again for a certain amount of time (see variables $_CONF['pollcookietime'] and $_CONF['polladdresstime'] in config.php - they hold those times, in seconds). Of course, this system - like any - can be circumvented, so you shouldn't be expecting 100% correct results from a vote. But it seems to help a bit, as you just demonstrated ;-) bye, Dirk

Anonymous

Anonymous
Dirk, thanks for the information, however let me elaborate on the problem. I have deleted the polls all together and given then different names, and the problem still exists. Regards Pabell

rv8

Forum User
Regular Poster
If I understand you correctly, you are testing the voting by creating several different user accounts from your computer, and trying to vote with each of these users. The problem is that GL is smart enough to record votes by IP address, otherwise one of your visitors could create a bunch of user accounts using hotmail e-mail addresses, and vote several times. All the votes from the users you created will be coming from the same IP address, so you can only vote once. If you want to cast several votes, you need to log in from different places, so you get different IP addresses. ---Kevin
Kevin Horton

Anonymous

Anonymous
You are correct 99% the 1% being missed is that all of my newly created polls are not letting me voice either Regards

All times are EDT. The time is now 05:04 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content