Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 12:41 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Documentation

dlcheetham

Forum User
Hi, although I'm new to PHP and MySQL I do have nearly 20 years of software development experience and I love Geeklog. While I could spend hours looking up all the codes used in the templates and extracting the database schema, is there a quick reference guide to what has been defined already ? It would save lots of time and frustration for newbies like myself who want to get into this thing and start contributing with their own ideas and mods. Regards Dave C

dreamscape

Forum User
Junior
the very short answer is no, it doesn't exist. Not in the detail I think you're looking for. You can find the database schema very easy, we provide it to create the database. Most of the code is fairly documented, so you can figure out most of what's going on from the code. We don't have a design document, or function list or anything like that. We'll have to look into phpdoc at some point to see if that would give us a better starting point for newer developers. If you have any questions, pop in #geeklog on irc.openprojects.net and someone in there will be glad to give you pointers and answer questions.

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
There are a couple Geeklog devotees who will be doing some basic documenation on Geeklog. I can't make any predictions on when that will be completed but I can say it will be much more thorough than any other open source weblog system out. In the meantime, we will lurk in IRC if you need us. ----- The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Thanks Guys. By the way, Geeklog Rocks.....

dreamscape

Forum User
Junior

There is a difference between a users guide and a developers reference..... It sounds like he was asking for the latter, though the first is definitely needed....

http://phpdocu.sourceforge.net/ might be a better answer than phpdoc, we'll have to see.

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
Interesting, I may give this a try. We already have alot of phpdoc style comments!
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.

Anonymous

Anonymous
notice how the word checker has gotten really picky lately, censoring the *censored* out of do*censored*entation?

Anonymous

Anonymous
Have you considered doing primary dev on a Wiki with authentication? It's a big style change from IRC, but it has lots of advantages, like: - jumpstart on all types of docs - allows more input (could have public view; member edit) - Wiki (over BBS or docs system) makes it easy to reorganize - collect/refactor/archive IRC logs, mailing list bits - develop docs "real-time", eg: link a feature dev pg to its docs dev pg I know IRC can be a Way, but it really limits valuable input of all sorts. A private dev stream can still go on in chat, mailing list, whatever...

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:41 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content