Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Friday, April 19 2024 @ 03:18 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

About ready to abandon Geek installation for Postnuke....

Anonymous

Anonymous
Hi, I've been trying in vain to install Geeklog...the directions seem so simple...this week i've successfully installed myphpweb and Postnuke to test them out...I like and prefer the functionalities of Geeklog...but I'm just plain doing something wrong.... The install doesn't work for me--shows a 'fail' so after i do the necessary changes to config, lib-database, and lib-common...then try go back to the install.php script and enter in new installation and the path...below are the errors i get.... Any ideas? I've started over again at least three times... I agree with someone else who posted that if really the installation is not smooth, people will flock to other portal systems even if functionally geeklog is superior... thanks for any advice, Chris Warning: open_basedir restriction in effect. File is in wrong directory Warning: Failed opening '/geeklog/system/classes/template.class.php' for inclusion (include_path='.:') Warning: Failed opening '/geeklog/config.default' for inclusion (include_path='.:')

mrgibson

Anonymous
http://www.php.net/manual/en/configuration.php#ini.open-basedir This is a restriction setted in the php.ini. You have to talk with your web hoster about this issue.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Thanks for the clarification. I'll check. Chris

Anonymous

Anonymous
This error indicates that you probably didn't enter a path correctly on the form at admin/install/install.php. Because the path wasn't entered correctly it tried to prepend the php default path.

Anonymous

Anonymous
I had a #@$*(@# of a time installing Geeklog too, but in the end, i was able to (whereas with Nuke i wasn't able to fully install it without getting errors). Anyways, did you give all the proper permissions (CHMOD 777) to all the required directories and files? I found this did it for me.

Robin

Forum User
I'm starting a new thread cause I just want to say to you DON'T GIVE UP!
Geeklog is a great stuff and I'm 100% sure it'll become even better in the furture.
My adventure with Geeklog has started with the 1.2.5 version. I have to admit that this is the only version I managed to setup with no problems whatsoever. I'm testing 1.3.1 (minor installation probs). I couldn't actually use the installation script and had to set it up manually. I works. Now I've tried the latest beta version and WOW I'm speechless with the installation script.
Again I want to say I'm just a user no expert, and if I've done it anyone can. Trust me and look for new Geeklog developments.
Geeklog Polish Support Team

Tony

Site Admin
Admin
/me gives Robin a hug (a kiss if you are a woman) ;-) ----- The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.
The reason people blame things on previous generations is that there's only one other choice.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Male actually ;-). By the way Tony I've emailed you regarding the Polish translation (IT'S ALMOST FINISHED) 3 things missing, however you didn't get back to me. I can imagine you're mega busy but ...
I would like to submit the ready file to be included in the latest Geeklog release. I believe this will increase GL popularity in Poland.

lcox

Forum User
Junior
I had this exact problem when I first attempted an install on my site hosted by WebScorpion.com.

The very kind folks there, namely Rene Madsen, helped me through the issue. (They have been awesome for support - BTW.)

Here's what I needed to do to fit it in that environment:
in the config.php file,

$_CONF['path'] = "$SITE_ROOT/var/www/html/";

Major note: see the double quotes. I had singles and it failed.

Your ISP may have configured a different environment variable for site root, but in any case, that's the concept and specifically, for WebScorpion, the solution the same error noted at the top of the thread that I've seen. Anyway, hopefully this will help someone, possibly even the next WebScorpion subscriber. Thanks.

Ectropian

Forum User
Chatty
Whatever it takes. Geeklog is the best. I ran Postnuke for the last year and a half, and can honestly say that the support and development have been slow and non-existant lately. They are not even in a 1.0 stage yet. v.7.1.3 or something. I had a ton of problems myself with my host provider, so i finally broke down and hosted my website myself, and am VERY happy I did.

Check me out at Http://www.ectropia.com (redirected due to DSL and My slack webhost).

-Ectropian

--Ted(Ectropian)

All times are EDT. The time is now 03:18 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content