Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 04:48 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Content/design/css editor

Page navigation

Sculley

Anonymous
I am new to Geeklog. I am familiar with Wordpress. How do I get into the CSS/design editor (not sure what Geeklog calls it) to change the header and add Google Analytics?

While I'm here, can you also help me with these questions?

-How do I enable comments on this blog: http://subtleyoga.com/index.php?topic=yoga_philosophy_Kaov?
-Is it possible to add an RSS feed icon option to each blog post? If so, is there a plugin or how and where can we do this?
-Is it possible to add an email sign up to her blog so that when she posts blog posts one can subscribe via email? If so, how?
-Is it possible to change the URL to text-friendly URL like www.subtleyoga.com/blog? Wordpress offers this.
-Do you have a plugin for a sitemap? Or, how/where can I add a static one?
-How do I add a new page for "photos" under Writings section (I will be changing the name to Resources)?
-Do you have an SEO plugin for writing titles, descritpions, etc. for each blog post like WordPress's?

Thanks so much in advance!

LWC

Forum User
That's a lot of questions. You should just play around in the demo site a little to figure things out. With that said:

How do I get into the CSS/design editor (not sure what Geeklog calls it) to change the header and add Google Analytics?

What does CSS/design have to do with the HTML code in the header? There's a header.thtml file which you must edit directly.

How do I enable comments on this blog:

Each item (e.g. stories) can have comments enabled. The relevant choice is in the edit mode of that item.

Is it possible to add an RSS feed icon option to each blog post?

That makes no sense and goes against the principle of RSS feeds. They are for lists (telling you what's new on that list), not for individual items. Geeklog provides you RSS feeds for whole topics. There's a RSS choice in the admin screen.

Is it possible to add an email sign up to her blog so that when she posts blog posts one can subscribe via email?

No, only for comments or forum posts. Not for topics.

Is it possible to change the URL to text-friendly URL like www.subtleyoga.com/blog?

You just rename the public_html folder into anything you like and mention it during the installation.

Do you have a plugin for a sitemap?

Yes, it's in the online configuration.

How do I add a new page for "photos" under Writings section (I will be changing the name to Resources)?

Use the Media Gallery plugin and make an album's link appear in the topic which you want.

-Do you have an SEO plugin for writing titles, descritpions, etc. for each blog post?

Each story contains a title obviously. But there's nothing to write meta descriptions (something which lost its appear since Google arrived).

LWC

Forum User
To any admins reading this, please move this to the right forum and fix the subject.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: Sculley

-How do I enable comments on this blog: http://subtleyoga.com/index.php?topic=yoga_philosophy_Kaov?

Comments can be enabled or disabled on a per-story basis. There's also a global option to set the default for new stories.

Which version of Geeklog is running on that site? I see stories dating back to 2008. However, the current version of Geeklog (1.6.0sr2) has two annoying bugs that may automatically close stories for comments.

bye, Dirk

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: LWC

Do you have a plugin for a sitemap?

Yes, it's in the online configuration.

Depends on what he meant. A sitemap in the original sense, i.e. a list of all pages on the site, is not included. There are some add-ons that provide something similar.

If this is about having a sitemap.xml file - yes, that's built in and can be found under "Configuration".

Quote by: LWC

But there's nothing to write meta descriptions (something which lost its appear since Google arrived).

Not yet 8) While Google stated that they don't use meta keywords, they do sometimes use meta descriptions.

bye, Dirk

Sculley

Anonymous
Thank you both for the answers.

Where is the demo site?

How do I get into the part where the CSS is not just the header? I want to add Google Analytics and text links to footer and other design changes.

Thanks much!

LWC

Forum User
Look for the demo site in one of the top left menus of this site.

Other than header.thtml, you also have footer.thtml - but why do you keep mentioning CSS when asking about HTML? They're two different things. CSS is in style.css.

Sculley

Anonymous
Quote by: Dirk

Comments can be enabled or disabled on a per-story basis. There's also a global option to set the default for new stories.

Which version of Geeklog is running on that site? I see stories dating back to 2008. However, the current version of Geeklog (1.6.0sr2) has two annoying bugs that may automatically close stories for comments.

bye, Dirk

Where's the global option to set the default to enable comments for new stories? (Please be specific. Thanks!)

The blog is using 1.5. Should we not update?

Sculley

Anonymous
Depends on what he meant. A sitemap in the original sense, i.e. a list of all pages on the site, is not included. There are some add-ons that provide something similar.

I don't see a sitemap.xml file under "Configuration". Which is it under and then where do I find on the right?

Configuration Sections
Geeklog
Spam-X
Static Pages
Admin Home

Geeklog Configuration
Site
Stories and Trackback
Theme
Blocks
Users and Submissions
Images
Languages and Locale
Miscellaneous

Sculley

Anonymous
Other than header.thtml, you also have footer.thtml - but why do you keep mentioning CSS when asking about HTML? They're two different things. CSS is in style.css.[/p]

Where is style css and where is header.thtml and footer?

I know the difference between html and css....I build sites. In WP, when you are in one, you're in the other. Not to compare, but it sure seems easier to find your way around.

Everyone keeps answering me....it's in Config but I don't see where? I've searched in the documentation and can't find the answer either. I would think I would go to Admin > Config > Theme for the header, footer and css, but I don't see anything but settings on the right. Please show me. Thanks very much.

Sculley

Anonymous
There's a header.thtml file which you must edit directly.

Where exactly?

Each item (e.g. stories) can have comments enabled. The relevant choice is in the edit mode of that item.

Got it thanks. Only problem is when I tried to enable comments on a post with an image only. I got this error message:

The following errors occurred while trying to save your story. Please correct these errors before saving
image #1, 20061220125936731_1.jpg, was not used. You must include this image in the intro or body before you can save your changes

The post was already saved with the image in the Intro Text so I'm not sure what it's asking. Should I post this Q somewhere else?

There's a RSS choice in the admin screen.

Sorry, that's what I meant. An RSS feed for the blog not each individual post. When I go to Content Syndication, it looks like it's enabled but I don't see the icon or anything for a User to click.

Content Syndication

Title bararrowdown Type Format Filename Topic last updated Enabled
SubtleYoga.com Geeklog RSS 2.0 /backend/subtle.rss All 08/31 07:55PM Yes

After creating an RSS Feed account, how do enable it via this Conent Syndication in Admin (post on blog so users can sign up)?

No, only for comments or forum posts. Not for topics.

What's the difference b/w topics and stories?

::Ben

Forum User
Hello,

Topics=category

stories=articles

For the rss link you got to create it or use a theme with this feature.

I'm available to customise your themes or plugins for your Geeklog CMS

1000ideen

Forum User
Comments seem to be turned off for single posts on your blog.

Updating to 1.5.2sr5 may be suitable for you if it is a blog with comments. 1.6.* is buggy concerning comments which can be quite annoying if you don`t know how to mend it in MySQL.

Is it possible to add an RSS feed icon option to each blog post?

Yes, in GL 1.6.0 there is an RSS feed icon with each blog post if you unfold them. Compare
http://subtleyoga.com/article.php?story=20091008084956646
http://www.geeklog.net/article.php/geeklog-1.6.0sr1

change the URL to text-friendly

Yes in a certain way. GL is very URL friendly. You can also change the title of each posting.

add an email sign up to her blog so that when she posts blog posts one can subscribe via email?

Yes, the signup is already included in GL but is has been turned off here in geeklog.net. But it is barely visible anyway - I can`t even tell you where it is but it is a feature request of me to make it better visible. http://project.geeklog.net/tracking/view.php?id=154

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin

Where is style css and where is header.thtml and footer?

I know the difference between html and css....I build sites. In WP, when you are in one, you're in the other. Not to compare, but it sure seems easier to find your way around.

Everyone keeps answering me....it's in Config but I don't see where? I've searched in the documentation and can't find the answer either. I would think I would go to Admin > Config > Theme for the header, footer and css, but I don't see anything but settings on the right. Please show me. Thanks very much.

All theme files (fheader, footer, blocks, style.css, etc..) are usually kept in your theme directory. Some plugins also have their own templates which are usually kept in the plugins directory. You will have to change these files with a text editor since there is no built in way to do so.

/public_html/layout/your_theme_name/

For more friendly urls you can also Enable URL Rewrite. It is on the first page of the geeklog configuration under the copyright year settting.
One of the Geeklog Core Developers.

Sculley

Anonymous
Can an Admin login have a limited number of functions? I am wondering if the login I received from my client is limited and the person who set up her site/blog has another with full functionality and maybe that's why I'm not finding the html files, etc? Can you tell me specifically where to go to find the header and footer? For example: Admin > Configuration > Theme, etc, etc. I do not see it!

1000ideen

Forum User
There is no online editor!!!

You have to edit and FTP the layout files in /public_html/layout/your_theme_name

Forum User
You will have to change these files with a text editor since there is no built in way to do so.

There is a very nice plugin call themedit for geeklog 1.4.0 and higher . You can do a lot with it.

I'm available to customise your themes or plugins for your Geeklog CMS

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin

I don't see a sitemap.xml file under "Configuration". Which is it under and then where do I find on the right?

It's a new feature in Geeklog 1.6.0.

bye, Dirk

Sculley

Anonymous
Quote by: 1000ideen

There is no online editor!!!

You have to edit and FTP the layout files in /public_html/layout/your_theme_name

Finally got access to the ftp and am looking on the server. There is no public_html folder. Here's what I've got:

There are at least 20 folders and a ton of files on the server. Any other idea what folder most of this stuff is in?

Thanks much in advance for your help.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Look out for the "layout" folder. You'll find a lot of template files in there. That's because everything in Geeklog is created from a template. But you only need to modify a few of them to change your theme. The documentation has the details.

bye, Dirk

Page navigation

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:48 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content