Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Monday, March 18 2024 @ 11:06 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Adding profile variables confusion

Page navigation

Blaine

Forum User
Good luck getting Dirk to allow more then the most basic javascript into core. I've been trying to add a more enhanced UI and use of javascript libraries for years. The farthest I ever got was the Advanced Editor mode.

If Geeklog has to work with Javascript disabled then we need an API that can be extended so sites can enable a more sophisticated UI that uses popular and well accepted JS frameworks like JQuery, YUI or mootools.

For now, I've decided to modify core and extend using my own techniques.
Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
The last time the javascript library topic was talked about on the mailing list was back in February.

I think it is time to make a decision on this, but the problem is no one is completely familiar with of all the popular javascript libraries so we never got a complete list of advantages of each library.

A couple of plugins already use Mootools and I know that is what Joomla uses. WordPress uses SACK. I am sure the CMS developers had their reasons for choosing these libraries, probably many of the same reasons we are considering.

A few others liked YUI, which Blaine wrote a good post about on the mailing list (Are you still using YUI and JQuery Blaine?)

Here is the best chart I have found so far for comparing the libraries.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_JavaScript_frameworks

I just really want a choice to be made so I don't go down to far using MooTools and then we decide to use something else, and then I have to recode everything :wink:

Edit: One other thing I did check Google Analytics and it looks like about 91% of surfers have javascript enabled.
One of the Geeklog Core Developers.

suprsidr

Forum User
HOoooo, Holdon one here....
There should be no discussion on which js library should be the de-facto Geeklog js library.

That should be up to the theme designer.

Hey, if geeklog wants to distribute the professional theme utilizing mootools or YUI who cares.

What I want is the ability to choose my theme's(or any theme I design's) javascript library without worrying about conflicting functionability.
Save fckeditor.

This should definately be a theme developer's choice.

--s
FlashYourWeb and Your Gallery with the E2 XML Media Player for Gallery2 - http://www.flashyourweb.com

Blaine

Forum User
I have used YUI, JQuery, Mootools and a number of other libraries and have had good experience with them all. They normally also work well together and compatibility is getting better. Shortly we (Nextide) will be releasing new plugins and one uses YUI and JQuery extensively.

JQuery is an excellent library and it's contributed plugins and community has been growing dramatically. It's very flexible, powerful and more focused on UI and site layout enhancements.

YUI also is an excellent library for developers but there is a very small number of contributed plugins. YUI is a larger library that covers more functionality with excellent documentation and community support.

There is more to picking a JS library then just what site themer's would like. Multiple libraries could be enabled if required and with caching, compression and dynamic loading, the extra payload may not be a noticed. If we want to improve the user interface and site admin to use AJAX, then you need to pick one library or it will certainly complicate and add to the work effort. That may not be an issue, if we had 1000 developers like Drupal but that is not the case.

Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: Blaine

If we want to improve the user interface and site admin to use AJAX, then you need to pick one library or it will certainly complicate and add to the work effort.

I agree. There are some issues in our bugtracker that can only be solved or implemented using JavaScript. So we could either continue to roll our own JS code (like with the tabs interface for My Account) or adopt an existing JS library. And from my point of view, it would make more sense not to reinvent the wheel, especially given the size of the community, as Blaine already pointed out.

(I was going to write more on the general topic of JavaScript but I think I'll rather post that on geeklog-devel later today)

bye, Dirk

Laugh

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by: suprsidr

HOoooo, Holdon one here....
There should be no discussion on which js library should be the de-facto Geeklog js library.

That should be up to the theme designer.

--s

Geeklog does need to pick one for a standard so we can start implementing features for the admin, AJAX enhancements, theme enhancements, etc..., but I also think if a plugin author or theme designer doesn't like the choice made that they can tell Geeklog to load in whatever library they want.
One of the Geeklog Core Developers.

Page navigation

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:06 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content