Subject: Content/design/css editor

Posted on: 08/10/09 11:19am
By: Anonymous

I am new to Geeklog. I am familiar with Wordpress. How do I get into the CSS/design editor (not sure what Geeklog calls it) to change the header and add Google Analytics?

While I'm here, can you also help me with these questions?

-How do I enable comments on this blog: http://subtleyoga.com/index.php?topic=yoga_philosophy_Kaov?
-Is it possible to add an RSS feed icon option to each blog post? If so, is there a plugin or how and where can we do this?
-Is it possible to add an email sign up to her blog so that when she posts blog posts one can subscribe via email? If so, how?
-Is it possible to change the URL to text-friendly URL like www.subtleyoga.com/blog? Wordpress offers this.
-Do you have a plugin for a sitemap? Or, how/where can I add a static one?
-How do I add a new page for "photos" under Writings section (I will be changing the name to Resources)?
-Do you have an SEO plugin for writing titles, descritpions, etc. for each blog post like WordPress's?

Thanks so much in advance!

Re: Content/design/css editor

Posted on: 08/10/09 12:02pm
By: LWC

That's a lot of questions. You should just play around in the demo site a little to figure things out. With that said:

How do I get into the CSS/design editor (not sure what Geeklog calls it) to change the header and add Google Analytics?

What does CSS/design have to do with the HTML code in the header? There's a header.thtml file which you must edit directly.

How do I enable comments on this blog:

Each item (e.g. stories) can have comments enabled. The relevant choice is in the edit mode of that item.

Is it possible to add an RSS feed icon option to each blog post?

That makes no sense and goes against the principle of RSS feeds. They are for lists (telling you what's new on that list), not for individual items. Geeklog provides you RSS feeds for whole topics. There's a RSS choice in the admin screen.

Is it possible to add an email sign up to her blog so that when she posts blog posts one can subscribe via email?

No, only for comments or forum posts. Not for topics.

Is it possible to change the URL to text-friendly URL like www.subtleyoga.com/blog?

You just rename the public_html folder into anything you like and mention it during the installation.

Do you have a plugin for a sitemap?

Yes, it's in the online configuration.

How do I add a new page for "photos" under Writings section (I will be changing the name to Resources)?

Use the Media Gallery plugin and make an album's link appear in the topic which you want.

-Do you have an SEO plugin for writing titles, descritpions, etc. for each blog post?

Each story contains a title obviously. But there's nothing to write meta descriptions (something which lost its appear since Google arrived).

Posted on: 08/10/09 12:14pm

To any admins reading this, please move this to the right forum and fix the subject.

Posted on: 08/10/09 02:03pm
By: Dirk

Quote by: Sculley

-How do I enable comments on this blog: http://subtleyoga.com/index.php?topic=yoga_philosophy_Kaov?

Comments can be enabled or disabled on a per-story basis. There's also a global option to set the default for new stories.

Which version of Geeklog is running on that site? I see stories dating back to 2008. However, the current version of Geeklog (1.6.0sr2) has two annoying bugs that may automatically close stories for comments.

bye, Dirk

Posted on: 08/10/09 02:08pm

Quote by: LWC

Do you have a plugin for a sitemap?

Yes, it's in the online configuration.

Depends on what he meant. A sitemap in the original sense, i.e. a list of all pages on the site, is not included. There are some add-ons that provide something similar.

If this is about having a sitemap.xml file - yes, that's built in and can be found under "Configuration".

Quote by: LWC

But there's nothing to write meta descriptions (something which lost its appear since Google arrived).

Not yet 8) While Google stated that they don't use meta keywords, they do sometimes use meta descriptions.

bye, Dirk

Posted on: 08/10/09 08:18pm

Thank you both for the answers.

Where is the demo site?

How do I get into the part where the CSS is not just the header? I want to add Google Analytics and text links to footer and other design changes.

Thanks much!

Posted on: 09/10/09 04:24am

Look for the demo site in one of the top left menus of this site.

Other than header.thtml, you also have footer.thtml - but why do you keep mentioning CSS when asking about HTML? They're two different things. CSS is in style.css.

Posted on: 09/10/09 08:20am

Quote by: Dirk

Comments can be enabled or disabled on a per-story basis. There's also a global option to set the default for new stories.

Which version of Geeklog is running on that site? I see stories dating back to 2008. However, the current version of Geeklog (1.6.0sr2) has two annoying bugs that may automatically close stories for comments.

bye, Dirk

Where's the global option to set the default to enable comments for new stories? (Please be specific. Thanks!)

The blog is using 1.5. Should we not update?

Posted on: 09/10/09 08:30am

Depends on what he meant. A sitemap in the original sense, i.e. a list of all pages on the site, is not included. There are some add-ons that provide something similar.

I don't see a sitemap.xml file under "Configuration". Which is it under and then where do I find on the right?

Configuration Sections
Geeklog
Spam-X
Static Pages
Admin Home

Geeklog Configuration
Site
Stories and Trackback
Theme
Blocks
Users and Submissions
Images
Languages and Locale
Miscellaneous

Posted on: 09/10/09 08:40am

Other than header.thtml, you also have footer.thtml - but why do you keep mentioning CSS when asking about HTML? They're two different things. CSS is in style.css.[/p]

Where is style css and where is header.thtml and footer?

I know the difference between html and css....I build sites. In WP, when you are in one, you're in the other. Not to compare, but it sure seems easier to find your way around.

Everyone keeps answering me....it's in Config but I don't see where? I've searched in the documentation and can't find the answer either. I would think I would go to Admin > Config > Theme for the header, footer and css, but I don't see anything but settings on the right. Please show me. Thanks very much.

Posted on: 09/10/09 08:48am

There's a header.thtml file which you must edit directly.

Where exactly?

Each item (e.g. stories) can have comments enabled. The relevant choice is in the edit mode of that item.

Got it thanks. Only problem is when I tried to enable comments on a post with an image only. I got this error message:

The following errors occurred while trying to save your story. Please correct these errors before saving
image #1, 20061220125936731_1.jpg, was not used. You must include this image in the intro or body before you can save your changes

The post was already saved with the image in the Intro Text so I'm not sure what it's asking. Should I post this Q somewhere else?

There's a RSS choice in the admin screen.

Sorry, that's what I meant. An RSS feed for the blog not each individual post. When I go to Content Syndication, it looks like it's enabled but I don't see the icon or anything for a User to click.

Content Syndication

Title bararrowdown Type Format Filename Topic last updated Enabled
SubtleYoga.com Geeklog RSS 2.0 /backend/subtle.rss All 08/31 07:55PM Yes

After creating an RSS Feed account, how do enable it via this Conent Syndication in Admin (post on blog so users can sign up)?

No, only for comments or forum posts. Not for topics.

What's the difference b/w topics and stories?

Posted on: 09/10/09 08:55am
By: ::Ben

Hello,

Topics=category

stories=articles

For the rss link you got to create it or use a theme with this feature.

::Ben

Posted on: 09/10/09 08:57am
By: 1000ideen

Comments seem to be turned off for single posts on your blog.

Updating to 1.5.2sr5 may be suitable for you if it is a blog with comments. 1.6.* is buggy concerning comments which can be quite annoying if you don`t know how to mend it in MySQL.

Is it possible to add an RSS feed icon option to each blog post?

Yes, in GL 1.6.0 there is an RSS feed icon with each blog post if you unfold them. Compare
http://subtleyoga.com/article.php?story=20091008084956646
http://www.geeklog.net/article.php/geeklog-1.6.0sr1

change the URL to text-friendly

Yes in a certain way. GL is very URL friendly. You can also change the title of each posting.

add an email sign up to her blog so that when she posts blog posts one can subscribe via email?

Yes, the signup is already included in GL but is has been turned off here in geeklog.net. But it is barely visible anyway - I can`t even tell you where it is but it is a feature request of me to make it better visible. http://project.geeklog.net/tracking/view.php?id=154

Posted on: 09/10/09 09:07am
By: Laugh

Where is style css and where is header.thtml and footer?

I know the difference between html and css....I build sites. In WP, when you are in one, you're in the other. Not to compare, but it sure seems easier to find your way around.

Everyone keeps answering me....it's in Config but I don't see where? I've searched in the documentation and can't find the answer either. I would think I would go to Admin > Config > Theme for the header, footer and css, but I don't see anything but settings on the right. Please show me. Thanks very much.

All theme files (fheader, footer, blocks, style.css, etc..) are usually kept in your theme directory. Some plugins also have their own templates which are usually kept in the plugins directory. You will have to change these files with a text editor since there is no built in way to do so.

/public_html/layout/your_theme_name/

For more friendly urls you can also Enable URL Rewrite. It is on the first page of the geeklog configuration under the copyright year settting.

Posted on: 09/10/09 09:18am

Can an Admin login have a limited number of functions? I am wondering if the login I received from my client is limited and the person who set up her site/blog has another with full functionality and maybe that's why I'm not finding the html files, etc? Can you tell me specifically where to go to find the header and footer? For example: Admin > Configuration > Theme, etc, etc. I do not see it!

Posted on: 09/10/09 09:21am
By: 1000ideen

There is no online editor!!!

You have to edit and FTP the layout files in /public_html/layout/your_theme_name

Posted on: 09/10/09 09:34am

You will have to change these files with a text editor since there is no built in way to do so.

There is a very nice plugin call themedit for geeklog 1.4.0 and higher . You can do a lot with it.

Posted on: 10/10/09 08:47am

I don't see a sitemap.xml file under "Configuration". Which is it under and then where do I find on the right?

It's a new feature in Geeklog 1.6.0.

bye, Dirk

Posted on: 14/10/09 05:37pm

Quote by: 1000ideen

There is no online editor!!!

You have to edit and FTP the layout files in /public_html/layout/your_theme_name

Finally got access to the ftp and am looking on the server. There is no public_html folder. Here's what I've got:

There are at least 20 folders and a ton of files on the server. Any other idea what folder most of this stuff is in?

Thanks much in advance for your help.

Posted on: 15/10/09 01:59am

Look out for the "layout" folder. You'll find a lot of template files in there. That's because everything in Geeklog is created from a template. But you only need to modify a few of them to change your theme. The documentation has the details.

bye, Dirk

Posted on: 15/10/09 08:20am

Thanks Dirk. I think I found it but when I try downloading the header, DW says it can't find a valid editor for this file extension.

Posted on: 15/10/09 08:28am
By: Sculley

Is there anyway to login as Admin to see which theme is currently being used? The layout folder has four "minimal" folders and 6 "professional" folders -- all dates pretty close.

Posted on: 15/10/09 01:08pm

when I try downloading the header, DW says it can't find a valid editor for this file extension

Don't use DreamWeaver or any other WYSIWYG editor (it actually says so in the documentation). The .thtml files contain partial HTML where, say, a table is opened in one file but closed in another. These tools often think they need to add the "missing" tag and ruin the file.

Use a plain text editor.

bye, Dirk

Posted on: 15/10/09 02:33pm

Is there anyway to login as Admin to see which theme is currently being used? The layout folder has four "minimal" folders and 6 "professional" folders -- all dates pretty close.

Configuration > Geeklog > Theme

That's the current default theme. If you allow your users to change theme, they may have selected a different one under "My Account".

bye, Dirk

Posted on: 16/10/09 08:43am

Thanks so much for your help Dirk. Found the header and footer and updated.

Getting back to comments per your reply above.....where's the global setting for new stories? And do you recommend upgrading to 2.6 even though it has these bugs? Also, is upgrading easy or more advanced? WP has a plugin that makes it a click of the button. Don't want to mess anything up.

Also, I think I remember reading that the sitemap.xml plugin is in version 2.6? I would like to create a sitemap.xml and a sitemap.html. Do you have a plugin for both?

Posted on: 16/10/09 10:39am

Hello Sculley,

You could try to install the sitemap plugin and see if you find what t you are looking for.

Posted on: 16/10/09 11:08am

Thanks Cordiste. Any idea where the English version is?

Also, I think I remember finding a sitemap but now I can't remember where I found it if it's there. How can I check to see if there's one? Well, I guess I'd see the plugin, huh? And that's not there :-).

Any idea if there's a plugin for a sitemap.html? The SEs like this too.

Posted on: 17/10/09 09:25am

Just found the robots.txt file :

User-agent: *
Disallow: /comment.php
Disallow: /docs
Disallow: /pingback.php
Disallow: /submit.php
Disallow: /trackback.php

Is this preventing comments?

Also, any idea how to configure the global setting to allow comments on all future comments?

Posted on: 17/10/09 09:39am

The robots.txt file is only used by search engine spiders. It tells them not to index comment.php. The idea was to prevent it from indexing the comment form so that spammers won't find it easily. However, that also prevents indexing of all comments. So in Geeklog 1.6.0 we removed that line from the robots.txt again and dynamically add a "noindex" meta tag to the comment form only.

None of this has anything to do with normal users posting or viewing comments.

There's an older sitemap plugin here. It needs a few patches to work with 1.5.x (see the comments) and it needs to be kicked off manually.

For a user-visible site index, you could try this (direct download!) script. Unfortunately, Tom took down his site with the instructions for it. Basically: Drop it into your public_html directory (i.e. where the robots.txt and all the accessible files are) and then add a link to it from somewhere, e.g. from the footer or from a side block.

bye, Dirk

Posted on: 17/10/09 10:17am
By: Laugh

On a side not if you are using the forum I would add

Disallow: /forum/memberlist.php

to the robots.txt file. There is a bug in the forum that the search engines get trapped in that creates an endless number of pages for the forum member list.

Posted on: 17/10/09 04:46pm

Thanks Dirk.

-Do you recommend that I upgrade to 1.6 even though there are bugs in the comments?
-Where is the global setting to set comments for all future posts?
-Where is the sitemap.xml for 1.6?

Posted on: 17/10/09 05:09pm

1) Depends. If you want to use the comment submission queue, then 1.6.0 is probably a bit of a hassle. Also, the current plan is to have a 1.6.1 beta (with fixed comment handling) out before the end of the month. Which could mean a final 1.6.1 some time in November.

2) Configuration > Geeklog > Users and Submissions > Comments > Comment Default; set to "Comments Enabled".

3) In the webroot, where most search engines expect it.

bye, Dirk

Posted on: 17/10/09 11:07pm

3) In the webroot, where most search engines expect it.

Thanks Dirk. I meant where's the sitemap.xml plugin? Someone gave me the French version but can't find the English version. I'll try the link you gave me

Posted on: 18/10/09 01:21pm

You could try to install the sitemap plugin and see if you find what t you are looking for.

This is a english version... and a japanese one... not a french version Smile

Posted on: 18/10/09 06:25pm

I really appreciate your help, guys. I just need to say.....this is sooooo complicated! Wordpress is so easy. You just click to download the plugin and that's it. You may have to turn on some settings, but that's it. It's done. And the backups? There's an automatic back up and it's really easy to find the plugin for it and all you do is click a button and it backs up for you.

For both of the ones you have given, they both have problems. One, I read the comments and there's nothing there to help me make it work with 1.5 (and why isn't there one to work with 1.5? Maybe it's b/c there are so many more users for WP, people stay up on it much more?); the other, I have to back up the db first, then I have to make sure I install it in the right place, for example:

Change to your <geeklog_dir>/plugins/sitemap/ directory. Copy the files in the admin directory to the <admin>/plugins/sitemap/ directory your created in step 3. Copy the files and directories in the public_html directory to the <public_html>/sitemap/ directory your created in step 3.

etc., etc, etc.....this all seems like it's for techies (geeks :-) ?. I don't know geeklog and I thought it was going to be a piece of cake. The above sounds like way too much room for error just to install a plugin.....

Am I missing something?

Posted on: 18/10/09 06:27pm

1) Depends. If you want to use the comment submission queue, then 1.6.0 is probably a bit of a hassle. Also, the current plan is to have a 1.6.1 beta (with fixed comment handling) out before the end of the month. Which could mean a final 1.6.1 some time in November.

What is the Comments Submission Queue? I just want to allow comments globally. Seems like if that will work in 1.6, my problems will be solved.

Posted on: 19/10/09 05:33pm

I just need to say.....this is sooooo complicated! Wordpress is so easy. You just click to download the plugin and that's it.

We're working on it. In 1.6.0, you can already upload the plugin tarball or .zip file and Geeklog will move the files around for you. The next step will be to set up a plugin repository to allow plugins to install directly from within Geeklog. It'll also need some help from the plugin authors (especially for those plugins that require additional installation steps).

But we are aware of the problems people are having with the plugin install and we do have a plan to address those problems.

bye, Dirk

Posted on: 19/10/09 05:43pm

What is the Comments Submission Queue? I just want to allow comments globally. Seems like if that will work in 1.6, my problems will be solved.

It's just like the submission queues for stories, users, etc. Content must be approved by an admin before it's available on the site.

Geeklog 1.5.x doesn't have a comment submission queue. So if you enable comments on stories, visitors will be able to post comments right away. You can only optionally restrict that to registered users.

bye, Dirk

Posted on: 19/10/09 07:09pm

Dirk, I am sooo sorry. I'm not getting it. I have just enabled comments for 1.5 and it seems successful. Now, if I upgrade to 1.6, what exact problems will I have? I would love to upgrade for the sitemap.xml.

The link you gave for the plugin repository doesn't say how to create a repository. I thought you said it's currently available.

Thanks so much.

Posted on: 19/10/09 09:31pm

I have just enabled comments for 1.5 and it seems successful. Now, if I upgrade to 1.6, what exact problems will I have?

Two problems, basically: There is a new option to automatically close stories for comments after a certain amount of days. That option can't currently be switched off. So as a workaround, you will need to set the default to a high value (say, several years). If you do that, however, a new dropdown in the story editor (where you can choose for each story when it should be closed for comments) will revert to a date in 2008(!) by default, so you need to remember to change that entry before posting a story or it will be closed for comments already.

As I said elsewhere: Annoying. And as I also said elsewhere already: These issues will be fixed in Geeklog 1.6.1 which I expect to be out some time in November.

As for the Plugin Repository: That was implemented as part of this year's Google Summer of Code but support for it has not been rolled into Geeklog yet. If you want to play with it, the source code is available and feedback would be very much welcome. We'll probably run some sort of public beta for it anyway later on.

bye, Dirk

Posted on: 02/12/09 11:47am

Hey Dirk,

Has this been released?

Also, I'm assuming we can upload video to Geeklog but just checking.....

Thanks in advance for your help!

Posted on: 02/12/09 01:02pm

Has this been released?

You may want to check the front page occasionally ...

bye, Dirk

Geeklog - Forum
https://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=88597