Subject: Geeklog Bounties: What do you want to see implemented?

Posted on: 05/01/07 02:24pm
By: Dirk

Please use this thread to chip in your most wanted feature(s) to be implemented as part of the new Geeklog Bounties initiative.

Please keep in mind that at this time, we are not really looking for new ideas. Once the initiative is well under way and we may even have found some additional sponsors, we're willing to take new feature requests into account. But as long as our resources are limited, please stick to the list of open feature requests.

Re: Geeklog Bounties: What do you want to see implemented?

Posted on: 05/01/07 03:51pm
By: jmucchiello

Are you going to include "tasks" among the feature requests, there are 6 open tasks that look very much like feature requests:
And I have special interest in ReadOnly topics as I posted a hack for how to fix this in 1.4.0 and 1.4.1 (An actual checked in version of this would require merging the two methods).

I have interest in all of the topic/story based feature requests. In my opinion, story should be made a plugin but that might be too much for this initiative. In any case just about every option in $_CONF related to stories and topics should actually be a database entry at the topic level. In Topic A I want 5 stories per page but Topic B I want 10 stories per page. In Topic C I don't want trackbacks but all other topics should have trackbacks, etc.

Going through the existing list:
Unrelated to stories and topics:

Posted on: 05/01/07 04:57pm
By: beewee

XHTML support, please!

Posted on: 05/01/07 06:51pm
By: oskay

I think that adding these three would really improve the experience of the typical site visitor.

Posted on: 05/01/07 06:59pm
By: Chrispcritters

Several things that I'd like to see:

1) Native support of CAPTCA's
2) Native support for Google sitemaps

Posted on: 05/01/07 07:52pm
By: Euan

[#404] Weblink subcategories

I already have working subcategories in Glinks, but not time to maintain. Would you like me to tidy up and submit this category stuff for the Links plugin? That would also remove the duplication in work of having two plugins that are largely the same.

Posted on: 05/01/07 10:36pm
By: garfy

I would need the following

1. CUSTOM META TAGS FOR EACH PAGE - each page in edit mode has a 2 small windows where you type meta escription and meta tags for that page and also meta title, because it is not good to have the meta title of the page and the title of the page that is in h1 the same - it is really the time to implement them - it should not be that hard

2. LESS SPAM

3. EASIER INSTALATION - just uploading the files and not tweaking lib common and config file - or have a config file accessible through some kind of form where user just clicks the options he would like and add for example res of pics in small windows

Posted on: 06/01/07 09:36pm
By: SamF

1. Custom Password upon Registration: A second vote for this request

2. Better URL_rewrite implementation: URL_rewite should work for Apache 1.3 servers (it currently doesn't), and should be on by default

3. Plugin pages like forums, file-management, stories etc. etc. should automatically have the page name distict from the index's page name: e.g., this page should be 'Geeklog -- Forums' or something like that.

Posted on: 07/01/07 03:35am

Quote by: SamF

2. Better URL_rewrite implementation: URL_rewite should work for Apache 1.3 servers (it currently doesn't), and should be on by default

It does work on all Apache versions, AFAIK. geeklog.net is running on Apache 1.3. There have been reports of it not working on some setups but that appears to be a problem with the server setup, not with Geeklog.

It doesn't work on (most versions of) IIS, so we can't make it the default.

Quote by: SamF

3. Plugin pages like forums, file-management, stories etc. etc. should automatically have the page name distict from the index's page name: e.g., this page should be 'Geeklog -- Forums' or something like that.

That is entirely the plugin's responsibility - Geeklog provides all that they would need to do that. Contact the plugin's authors.

bye, Dirk

Posted on: 07/01/07 02:04pm
By: rv8

This is my biggest beef with GL, by far. I"ve hacked the links page on my site to use phplinks. This works, but it is real PITA to update GL, which means I tend to stay a few versions behind. I would contribute to a bounty for this feature, if there was a way to do that.

[#327] See parent post while commenting on it - this would be a very nice improvement, but it is much less important to me than #404.

Posted on: 07/01/07 02:25pm

I should probably mention that we're also thinking about spinning off the 3 "new" plugins (Calendar, Links, Polls) into separate projects. That, together with bounties, should hopefully boost their development.

bye, Dirk

Posted on: 07/01/07 02:44pm

Quote by: Dirk

I should probably mention that we're also thinking about spinning off the 3 "new" plugins (Calendar, Links, Polls) into separate projects. That, together with bounties, should hopefully boost their development.

bye, Dirk

My humble opinion is that the Polls plugin too 'small' to make a separate Polls project.

Posted on: 07/01/07 03:13pm

Quote by: beewee

My humble opinion is that the Polls plugin too 'small' to make a separate Polls project.

Not if I had time to play with it. I'd add multiresponse polls, support for "other, please specify", topic only polls, poll locking, writeonly polls (can't see results until poll closes), multi question polls (aka surveys), and (most importantly to me) an api so polls could be easily embedded into other GL objects (thus if the forums implemented my api, you could attach polls to a forum post like you can in phpBB and vBulletin and other forum packages). That's just the stuff I'd like, I'm sure multilanguage support would be nice too.

So, yeah, polls may be small now, but that's just because all the needed features don't exist.

Posted on: 08/01/07 01:54am
By: Anonymous

Quote by: jmucchiello

Not if I had time to play with it. I'd add multiresponse polls, support for "other, please specify", topic only polls, poll locking, writeonly polls (can't see results until poll closes), multi question polls (aka surveys), and (most importantly to me) an api so polls could be easily embedded into other GL objects (thus if the forums implemented my api, you could attach polls to a forum post like you can in phpBB and vBulletin and other forum packages). That's just the stuff I'd like, I'm sure multilanguage support would be nice too.

I have a beta running here that does 90% of what you listed. The question is currently if we post that to the core code or release an independent version outside of the normal GL release schedule.

Oliver

Posted on: 08/01/07 02:04am

Quote by: tokyoahead

I have a beta running here that does 90% of what you listed. The question is currently if we post that to the core code or release an independent version outside of the normal GL release schedule.

Oliver

Tokyio didn't you say that you are going to do the hack for custom meta and description tags?

Posted on: 08/01/07 02:16am

Tokyio didn't you say that you are going to do the hack for custom meta and description tags?[/p]

No... not that I can remember. I am working on a tagging plugin, if thats what you mean. Never on metatags however.

Posted on: 08/01/07 02:21am
By: THEMike

It does work on all Apache versions, AFAIK. geeklog.net is running on Apache 1.3. There have been reports of it not working on some setups but that appears to be a problem with the server setup, not with Geeklog.

There are issues with Apache in CGI mode in some configurations. For example, dreamhost.com's default setup does not work correctly with the re-writing that Geeklog is using. This however can be fixed easily in .htaccess even if your host does not let you change php.ini.

The ideal solution is to set cgi.fix_pathinfo to 1 in php.ini, however you can also do that in .htaccess:

PHP Formatted Code

php_flag cgi.fix_pathinfo 1

If overriding config such as that is disabled in your config, you can fix the problem (which is actually to do with 404 handling with PHP files...) with this re-write rule:

PHP Formatted Code

RewriteEngine on
RewriteRule \.php$ /404.php

I'm considering extending it (to /article/sid instead of /article.php/sid) anyway, using .htaccess.

Posted on: 08/01/07 02:24am

Tokyio didn't you say that you are going to do the hack for custom meta and description tags?

No... not that I can remember. I am working on a tagging plugin, if thats what you mean. Never on metatags however.[/p][/QUOTE]

but it is easy I guess - not for me - for you

here is the problem described in more details - can you do a plugin - most of other cms like joomla and drupal have the custom description and meta tags included

http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=10&showtopic=59616&mode=&onlytopic=&show=20

Posted on: 08/01/07 02:36am

I only found this out one the devel mailing list a few moments ago. I've been talking about polls for a couple days now but if most of my ideas are in the works go back to my other projects.

Posted on: 08/01/07 08:49am
By: 1000ideen

What is most important to me: 'Subscribe to comments' (= notifications
for replies) which is not yet a FR but Dirk said in the dev mailer he wants to work on that.

As jmucchiello suggested "Review Daily Digest" maybe together with #587 would be nice.

Some easy to do FR:
[#536] "Remember Me Forever"
[#598] "Add FCK editor to "mail users" utility" - parts of this are easy to do.
[#563] "topic.delete should be a separate right" - easy?
[#637] optimize the title of geeklog to be more SE friendly

Posted on: 08/01/07 11:10am
By: bjudson

All configuration options should be stored in the database as well.

I understand there is "some" performance issues with this but there are ways to minimize the impact of doing this.

I usually add the Canadian Provinces to the list of static locations for registrations. This is something I have to do everytime I update geeklog. I am sure some people don't want the US States at all. Others might like to have different countries.

Also it would be nice if the administrator could turn on or off trackbacks, and toggle topic icon locations from the control panel (or from the theme). Everything but paths in every config file should be at least updateable from the control panel, except of course authentication for the database server.

Also upgrading tends to be a pain because things like lib-custom.php are included in the gzipped distribution. This might be better to be included as lib-custom.php-orig and have people manually rename it the first time they install. Or have PHP check to see if lib-custom.php exists, and if not copy lib-custom.php-orig to lib-custom.php. Also for those of us without shell access, we have to pick and choose directories to FTP because ftp will overwrite everything else. Maybe take those directories that are just geeklog (docs, fckeditor, help, javascript, language, admin**) and put them under a customizeable directory off the root (say "gl" for default). This entire directory could be dumped and copied. ** The admin plug-in directories should go under the actual plug in. (Why put part of it in the admin directory when we could just check for something in the "admin" directory of the plugin??? Just more places to move stuff and forget to do things me thinks. Same goes for the stuff we don't change in the "geeklog/path" config directory. lump all the sql, and pear, language, system files into a gl directory and leave the dynamic stuff backups, logs, plugins, config.php to a "site" directory.

This part is way out of scope for this thread, but I thought I would throw it out there for Geeklog V2.0 or something to keep in mind.

With these changes we could host multiple geeklog sites (as I do) from one geeklog install. Additional instances of geeklog would use the same base geeklog install. Each instance would only require a "backend" directory, a images directory, a config directory (for logs, and config.php, and lib-custom.php only), a layout directory, even plug-ins ideally could ideally be pulled off of the "base" install but that would be up to the plug-in developer to make it work.

Obviously this system would require that all sites run the same version of geeklog and be upgraded at the same time, it wouldn't fit for a site that runs with an adjacent development site (though the plug-ins could be development) layout could be completely different, config options completely different, URL completely different.

Right now your thinking.. wow this is way too complicated, but most of it could be done with a config.php that checked the URL and redirected to a secondary config-sitespecific.php so www.benjudson.com (and benjudson.com) could be redirected (perhaps a regular expression) would both use config-benjudson-com.php. Which has different paths than www.othersite.com.

path-to-geeklog/config.php
path-to-geeklog/config-benjudson-com.php
path-to-geeklog/config-othersite-com.php
path-to-geeklog/public_html/lib-common.php
path-to-geeklog/public_html/images-benjudson/
path-to-geeklog/public_html/images-othersite/
path-to-geeklog/public_html/docs/
path-to-geeklog/public_html/othersite/docs/

(You get the idea I hope)

OR somethinglike http://www.benjudson.com/gl.php?file=/docs/changes.html (which is alot messier, though more flexible, while messing up logs, and stats and stuff yeah I know).

I would be open to any implementation that would allow for a single installation of geeklog with multiple instances (or sites) running off one installation.

Posted on: 08/01/07 12:22pm

Quote by: bjudson

.. wow this is way too complicated

indeed because the solution is already here:
http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=1&showtopic=62511

~~~~
May I suggest two more things: This forum needs a section where feature requests are being "bread" and discussed and no feature request should be accepted which has not been discussed thoroughly. This has nothing to do with bjudson it is more that some feature requests are being ill explained and rather taylored for only 1 person from one point of view. A discussion is usually more fruitful.

Posted on: 08/01/07 04:41pm
By: Laugh

I have been using URL Rewrite for a while now on IIS 6.0 and PHP 5+ with no problems.

Posted on: 10/01/07 03:34pm
By: jmatt

Open ID support. Geeklog as a client (identifying visitors to my site via their OpenId URL) is a higher priority for me than Geeklog as a server (allowing my Geeklog to identify me as an OpenID user to other sites).

I have also been thinking about hosting multiple Geeklog instances from a single installation, as bjudson suggests. I haven't gotten a chance to test my theory, but I think it could be done fairly easily with existing code.

If I'm correct, each instance just needs a unique config.php file, which would point to either a unique database or a unique table prefix within a common database. So you just need to invoke a different config.php file for each instance.

That could easily be done (I think) by changing the line in lib-common.php that specifies the config.php path to generate the config file name from the URL. So you could have multiple URLs which all point to a common Geeklog directory, via symlinks or aliases or whatever. The lib-common.php in that single directory would read different config files depending on the URL. Am I missing something? Is it harder than that?

Posted on: 10/01/07 03:44pm

Quote by: jmatt

Am I missing something?

LOL yes, the solution. As I said above it is here:
http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?forum=1&showtopic=62511

Posted on: 10/01/07 03:49pm

Open ID support.

You may want to check out (and possibly join) the recent discussion on the geeklog-devel list then.

bye, Dirk

Posted on: 10/01/07 06:01pm

If I'm correct, each instance just needs a unique config.php file, which would point to either a unique database or a unique table prefix within a common database. So you just need to invoke a different config.php file for each instance.

The only flaw with this is the various instances must share their plugin/config.php files. The plugin's config.php is usually loaded from its function.inc. So you'd have to have all the uploads for filemgmt go to the same directory, for example, and if they didn't share a database there is a chance for collision of filenames. (slim chance really)

Posted on: 10/01/07 07:11pm
By: zyx

I agree with Bjudson: there needs to be away to edit all non-critical Config things in the admin control panel. Its not difficult to change the config file through FTP, it is just time consuming.

Kinda away from the realm of this thread:
I would like to see polls integrated into the forums. Just something that users can use for fun in their threads. On my site, I have a general forum, and it would be great if people could use the poll for their personal enjoyment. I know many a time, people run threads about sporting events, and it would be cool if they could just do a little poll at the beginning of their threads asking about who is going to win. I know some other forums already have this, and I would like to see that in geeklog forums

Posted on: 11/01/07 02:39pm

I am working on a tagging plugin, if thats what you mean.

Yeah, that would make me very happy! With Tagcloud?

Bounties - [#404] Weblink subcategories

Posted on: 14/01/07 06:11pm
By: Euan

I'm going to take the category management out of Glinks and submit it as a patch for Links. Then the Glinks plugin can be killed off.

Cheers,

Euan.

Author Field

Posted on: 20/01/07 12:44am

Author field would be highly appreciated. It will allow the admin to enter an author for each article or story entered by the admin.

Right now, when the admin enters an article, the article is shown as contributed by the admin.
With author field somewhere in the story editor, the admin should be able to enter the author of the article.

This is useful for my site, where I cull MANY articles from different international sites, each article having different author(s).

I currently use the "changeowner" hack to change admin's full name to the name of the actual author of the article. But this is cumbersom as I have to first create a user with the author's name as the full name. There are many auhtors, and some authors write once in a while.

Posted on: 30/01/07 01:31pm
By: phpsocialclub

I have been a GL devotee for a while now and ususally do not build a website without using it as the framework.

I must say that the list I am about to give is a lot shorter with the newest 1.4.1 version of GL. the developers were thinking about the same issues I was and really cleaned up a couple of areas.

Here is my list of ideas

Link CSS for HTML editor to site CSS
Change the FCKeditor CSS to reflect the site CSS so that styles and formating carries over to the Advanced Editor

Fix Blank Block Issue
If you leave the title of the block blank, it works fine, but then you need to put a space in everytime you save the block in the future

Improve Backup
Add Page history to SP
The backup page needs to have an option to download backups, zip backups, and download selected sections. Also if there could be a version of the static pages created so you could roll back SP changes, that would be great as well

Create error message if user is not yet activated and needs password resent
If a new user is not yet activated and trys to have their password resent, there is no error message, just a blank first page.

Calendar repeating events
It would be great to be able to add an event that happens every monday for example.

If there is anything on here that the core GL team would like to add, I would be willing to code it, if it would be included in the core distrubution.

I used to change the core code, but now I do that less since I have so many GL installations to support.

Thanks for such a great project,

Posted on: 30/01/07 02:48pm

Quote by: phpsocialclub

Add Page history to SP
if there could be a version of the static pages created so you could roll back SP changes, that would be great as well

You can fake this by taking the existing SP and duplicating it, giving it the same id with _backup or _ver_1 appended to it. remove all permissions and save. Now go back to the original and modify it.

Posted on: 30/01/07 04:18pm
By: ajzz

Easier Theme Upgrades (Core & Custom theme file separation)

Along the lines of lib-custom.php, which separates custom code from core files, all themes should have a "custom" or "local" folder in each theme directory where edited copies of theme files are kept, and used from preferentially, if present. This minimizes the effort of having a laundry list of backup files, or doing a diff with old template files each time you realize that the theme has to be upgraded.

With this format, one downloads the latest core theme (say professional) with all the right admin files etc, and just copy over the custom directory from older versions.
1. Is it going to stop one from having to redo style.css, header.thtml and other usual suspects with files from the new template? - Probably not.
2. Does it make sure you have all the latest admin templates? Yes.
3. Does it make changes more traceable when multiple admins are changing templates? Yes.
4. Does it make theme development easier? Perhaps.

(There seem to be quite a few theme updates with recent versions - I recently gave up on a custom theme - a hacked GL1.3.6 version of aeon - and ended up modding the latest professional theme because upgrading the old theme seemed too daunting).

Posted on: 30/01/07 08:06pm

Quote by: phpsocialclub

Add Page history to SP
if there could be a version of the static pages created so you could roll back SP changes, that would be great as well

You can fake this by taking the existing SP and duplicating it, giving it the same id with _backup or _ver_1 appended to it. remove all permissions and save. Now go back to the original and modify it.

I currently do this, the only problem is that unless you change the permissons, you have a couple versions of the file for the search.

Also, I only need the feature when I forget to make a backup or the editor messes something up,

Smile

Posted on: 31/01/07 02:44pm

Ok here's one for you... Every new plugin has it's templates in the plugin folder, why is the plugin's templates not in the theme folder? I can't tell you how much frustration that has caused me recently, especially when trying to design multiple themes for the same site that are radically different. The forum does it (or did it, haven't looked at the latest version of that yet) why can't that be specified as a requirement in plugin design?

-Rob

Posted on: 31/01/07 02:50pm

Another big one, why not just have one template for a block instead of a featured story block, a left block, a right block, etc and pass the class to the template file from whatever function calls it? So if the function that builds the left blocks is running it knows to use the left blocks css when building a block.

-Rob

Changes to events plugin

Posted on: 06/02/07 11:47am

1. The event types need to be in a language file, not the config.
2. More international method for adding events, eliminate US states, maybe just have a text area
3. FCeditor for the description field
4. Improved Event Searching

thanks,

I have someone translating the events lang file to spanish, it will be done soon.

Andrew

Posted on: 02/03/07 08:16am

First of all, I should thank you all for the way GL has developed over the years - I have been a GL user for my sites for a number of years and, apart from periods of frustration when things have not worked as expected (partly due to my lack of expertise in php, partly due to trying to keep up with changes), I have found GL serves my needs well.

If I may make a few suggestions for the next phase:

1. Implementation of XHTML or whatever is required to ensure that GL sites are accessible (i.e. meet disabled/accessibility standards e.g. http://www.w3.org/WAI/) - for example, giving the user the ability to change font size/colour as standard (rather than having to come up with alternative templates which I still haven't managed to get working Oops! ) and using access keys. This is increasingly a requirement for commercial, education or indeed most sites (it is a good thing to do, in addition to being a legal requirement in some countries). Plone provides an example of this in action http://plone.org/accessibility-info.

2. To get hierarchical/category base link system, perhaps using PhpLinks as the base (being slightly selfish as I am stuck using an old version of GL since Squatty stopped supporting the phplinks/GL integration and Links was moved out of the core code, so I cannot work out how to get it working with the recent versions of GL Rolling Eyes ).

3. Implement or integrate Mail2Forum, as this is a really useful - advanced - way of linking email based mailing lists and Forums (I have tried implementing through using GL/phBBbridge but have not quite managed to get it working yet!).

Many thanks

Anonymous

Posted on: 02/03/07 03:13pm

Quote by: Anonymous

1. Implementation of XHTML or whatever is required to ensure that GL sites are accessible (i.e. meet disabled/accessibility standards e.g. http://www.w3.org/WAI/)

Accessibility doesn't depend on XHTML. Most, if not all, that is required for this would need to be done in a theme. There are probably a few places in Geeklog that would also need to be changed, though.

I'm no expert in WAI compliance. If anyone wants to work on this, please do so. We'd be willing to help in any way we can.

As for your #2: We already have a bounty for links subcategories and a contestant (two, actually). So that should be coming with the next release (maybe earlier, if we can roll it into a plugin that's compatible with 1.4.1).

A mail2forum gateway (your #3) is something that would best be done as a plugin. It sounds interesting, but I don't think it's something a lot of people would need.

bye, Dirk

Posted on: 02/03/07 03:36pm

I do not know why nobody is focusing on custom meta description and meta keywords on each page

the real problem for search engines

Posted on: 02/03/07 08:38pm

Quote by: Dirk[pThere are probably a few places in Geeklog that would also need to be changed, though.[/p]
The real sticky point is the ALT tag on links. Every link needs one. That would take a lot of work to go through the code looking for every place a link is created.

Posted on: 03/03/07 03:06am

Quote by: jmucchielloThe real sticky point is the ALT tag on links.[/p]

:banghead: <pet peeve>alt attribute</pet peeve>

Posted on: 03/03/07 03:43am

Quote by: jmucchielloThe real sticky point is the ALT tag on links.

:banghead: <pet peeve>alt attribute</pet peeve>

Tell me about it...I'm about 90 percent complete on making my site 100 percent w3c complient. The only things left at this point are a couple of plugins thatI need to run thru. I've already gone thru all the one's that shipped with geeklog and they were complient. GLMenu2.1, GL_Utils1.0.2, Multifaqs2.2rc3, PhpDump, Mediagallery1.4.7 and GUS 1.7 are also now complient. I might work on the Forum and Filemgt as time goes.

Michael

Posted on: 28/05/07 10:02pm
By: jcz

I'm a longtime GL supporter and have used it as the CMS foundation for many sites. I'm trying to get my company to sponsor development of a specialized plugin that we need that will use the Google Maps API to geocode (assign coordinates) to things like users, events, stories, links, and a concept we have called Projects. These coordinates would then allow GL to produce GeoRSS which can be fed into geographic mashup aggregators.

My requests are:
- Calendar repeating events (needed this for years and I know it's been talked about for a long time)

- m2F (mail2forum) function a la the one for phpBB. I've used this for phpBB and love it! Now we use it internally to suck listservs into phpBB as a much better archival structure for searching than mailman and pipermail. We would be very interested in seeing this ability supported by GL forum because phpBB integration is painful.

- Something to make the URLs more friendly

Posted on: 28/05/07 11:48pm

Check this post for bounties on recurring events: here

Posted on: 23/11/07 10:56am
By: ronack

Polls
There were a couple of posts on this that said it was 90% done. I suspect other projects still have this at 90%. Is there any more consideration on this?

Posted on: 09/02/09 06:50pm
By: RickW

Whatever happened to this list of bounties? How much of it ended up on the to-do list?

Posted on: 10/02/09 02:01am
By: eg0master

Quote by: RickW

Whatever happened to this list of bounties? How much of it ended up on the to-do list?

Have you looked at: http://www.geeklog.net/staticpages/index.php/bounties?

Posted on: 10/02/09 05:17am

We're a bit unorganized there I guess. Partially due to the loss of the (old) bugtracker shortly after initiating this program.

Still, two things got implemented (OpenID support and Links sub-categories). And the program as such is still on. We've got some money from our ongoing sponsors that we could offer for features that the community wants to see.

At the moment, we're concentrating on wrapping up Geeklog 1.6 with the results of last year's Summer of Code plus getting into the Summer of Code again for 2009. So any new features from bounties would have to wait until 1.6.1 anyway.

That's the current state of things. A bit fuzzy, I guess. Got anything specific in mind?

bye, Dirk

Posted on: 10/02/09 11:16am

The recurring events and general calendar upgrade has fizzled. This continues to be a high-priority for me, but I would support redirecting my contribution to other causes.

Posted on: 10/02/09 11:25am

Quote by: eg0master

Have you looked at: http://www.geeklog.net/staticpages/index.php/bounties?

Yea, but that page was last updated July 20 2008, and I didn't see much on there that had been posted in this thread.

That's the current state of things. A bit fuzzy, I guess. Got anything specific in mind?

bye, Dirk[/p]

RSS feed for profiles. It would show the last X stories and posts by that user. I made my own hack at some point, but it would be nice to have it integrated natively:
http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=52593

I would like an RSS Digest.
http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=55955 (old request)
http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=86300 (new request)

SEO features (meta data).
http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=84402
http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=37115

Google sitemap.
http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=72883

"Dashboard" front page.
http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=37280 (front page different from topic pages)

Story "comment" generates Forum post.
http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=44270

Modular template files.
http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=84409

I have some other features/plugins I would like, but they would only be useful to Antisource. Mr. Green

Posted on: 10/02/09 11:48am

In regards to SEO features (meta data),

I've been meaning to talk to Dirk about this. I am tired of updating Geeklog everytime a new version comes out to implement this feature in my own builds. I was hoping to contribute this for Geeklog version 1.6.0, for stories and staticpages so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

I also have code for serveral Poll autotags which I might as well contribute.

Posted on: 10/02/09 01:57pm

Quote by: Laugh

I've been meaning to talk to Dirk about this. I am tired of updating Geeklog everytime a new version comes out to implement this feature in my own builds. I was hoping to contribute this for Geeklog version 1.6.0, for stories and staticpages so I don't have to worry about it anymore.

The meta tags really aren't as important as they used to be. Its just proper search engine optimization, and is beneficial for some of the secondary engines.

It would be nice if the article could have a Keywords field, that is simple delimited by commas. This would populate the meta Keywords - but you could also build additional features around it. Display it at the bottom of the article, and make each keyword a Link that runs a quick search on that word. Or let this drive a Related list of other article links.

Overall, I would like to see a robust SEO Plugin for GL. It would track spiders, keyword density, page rank, generate the google sitemaps, etc.

On a sidenote, I would like to see either native support or a plugin for Advertising, i.e. Google Adsense. You can add the javascript snippets to a form, with each snippet assigned to a custom tag, and those tags are referenced in the GL templates.

SEO + Ads = Money == GL sponsorship. Mr. Green

Posted on: 10/02/09 02:16pm

Quote by: jcz

The recurring events and general calendar upgrade has fizzled. This continues to be a high-priority for me, but I would support redirecting my contribution to other causes.

Huh? Did you miss this? There's been a file for download in the files section for a month now. Granted, no recurring events. But most of the other enhancements are there.

Posted on: 10/02/09 02:21pm

It would be nice if the article could have a Keywords field, that is simple delimited by commas. This would populate the meta Keywords - but you could also build additional features around it. Display it at the bottom of the article, and make each keyword a Link that runs a quick search on that word. Or let this drive a Related list of other article links.

To do the search, you can't store it comma delimited. It needs a separate table. So this isn't "simple".

I do think the made by Mystral_kk does most of this. (Don't know if it does the meta keyword part though.)

Posted on: 10/02/09 02:36pm

The meta tags really aren't as important as they used to be. Its just proper search engine optimization, and is beneficial for some of the secondary engines.

Overall, I would like to see a robust SEO Plugin for GL. It would track spiders, keyword density, page rank, generate the google sitemaps, etc.

On a sidenote, I would like to see either native support or a plugin for Advertising, i.e. Google Adsense. You can add the javascript snippets to a form, with each snippet assigned to a custom tag, and those tags are referenced in the GL templates.

SEO + Ads = Money == GL sponsorship. Mr. Green

While keyword meta tag is not that important, I believe the description is. Google uses the description in search results to describe the page.

While Mystral_kk tag plugin is a good start it has numerous bugs in it. I've been meaning to release something to iron them out.

Posted on: 10/02/09 03:45pm

Huh? Did you miss this? There's been a file for download in the files section for a month now. Granted, no recurring events. But most of the other enhancements are there.

Actually, I did miss it. Sorry. But the killer feature was the recurring part Frown

Posted on: 10/02/09 07:03pm

Dirk already added del.icio.us bookmarks into the latest release. It would be cool to see a multi-bookmark features, similar to the addthis widget (http://www.addthis.com/bookmark.php). It allows visitors to immediately post to:

Digg
Myspace
Facebook
Yahoo Buzz
Del.icio.us
Google
Live
LinkedIn
Kaboodle
Twitter
Fark
Furl
Reddit
Slashdot

etc.

This is becoming pretty common on sites...

Posted on: 11/02/09 03:46am

Yep, Google seem to use the meta description on occasion, e.g. for new pages. You also get warnings about duplicate meta descriptions in the Google Webmaster Tools, so they seem to have some weight.

There's a feature request for this already, btw.

bye, Dirk

Posted on: 11/02/09 03:55am

Dirk already added del.icio.us bookmarks into the latest release.

Not really. I've only added a couple of new template variables that you would need when you want to have an "add to del.icio.us" link, as explained here.

bye, Dirk

Posted on: 11/02/09 04:02am

Make the installation of the plugins easier, without manually, copying files from one location to another, etc. I also know that there is not one generic set of instruction for all plugins and when you are new to the program and trying to learn the installation process, having to guess your way through is very stressful and discouraging. Added to that you many of the replies given are filled with arrogance. Remember, it is not what you say but how it is said; both verbally and written forms. Don't get me wrong but there are some that will gladly answer what could often be a simple solution and those replies are gladly welcomed but when clear rudeness is used, something should be done to correct those issues.

While others seem to have success with the installation, there are those of us that don't have the experience and the instructions provided can be very confusing.

Easy installation of the plugin would be great!

Posted on: 11/02/09 04:16am

Quote by: Dory

Make the installation of the plugins easier, without manually, copying files from one location to another, etc.

Way ahead of you there Mr. Green

This was part of Matt's Summer of Code project last year and will come with Geeklog 1.6. It may require some changes in the plugins, especially those that require additional files or directories to be copied around, but I'm sure the popular plugins will be updated shortly after the release of 1.6.

bye, Dirk

Posted on: 11/02/09 04:27am

I also know that there is not one generic set of instruction for all plugins

Not sure what you mean by this. The basic steps are the same for all plugins. That's documented (with a picture for those who prefer graphical instructions). And the first post in the Plugin Help forum links to those instructions. Not to mention that every plugin does come with installation instructions.

Yes, the current procedure is somewhat awkward. But it is documented. Extensively, I would think.

Added to that you many of the replies given are filled with arrogance. Remember, it is not what you say but how it is said; both verbally and written forms. Don't get me wrong but there are some that will gladly answer what could often be a simple solution and those replies are gladly welcomed but when clear rudeness is used, something should be done to correct those issues.

Please point me to a rude reply here in the forums. Replies may be brief, but that is not the same as rudeness. And where things are documented, I at least will rather point people to the existing documentation than having to type it all out again. If something's not clear, I'll be happy to give a detailed response.

Ask a specific question and you get a specific answer. Ask a generic question and you get a pointer to the documentation. That's efficient, not rude.

bye, Dirk

Posted on: 14/02/09 08:02am

Digg
Myspace
Facebook
Yahoo Buzz
Del.icio.us
Google
Live
LinkedIn
Kaboodle
Twitter
Fark
Furl
Reddit
Slashdot

etc.

Multi-bookmark features may be a nice trendy effect but what is the "etc." ? Consequently there should be an international solution and the etc. may be pretty long. So this might become a plugin or at least one should be able to define the bookmark services in a config file.

Several of the old FR which I wrote above are still current FRs:
Some easy to do FR:
[#536] "Remember Me Forever"
[#598] "Add FCK editor to "mail users" utility" - parts of this are easy to do.
[#563] "topic.delete should be a separate right" - easy?

Posted on: 23/08/11 10:43am
By: gape

durring install, check the permissions for the plugins that ship with geeklog install

(i allways get an error lately - no congratulations)

this should be
' file a feature request.'
as was sugested here
http://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=90335&amp;lastpost=true#93135

while i was looking where to fill it out
i found this:

Gone
The requested resource
/tracker/
is no longer available on this server and there is no forwarding address. Please remove all references to this resource.

found it on this url
http://project.geeklog.net/tracker/?atid=108&amp;group_id=6

Posted on: 23/08/11 10:57am

The bugtracker ist at http://project.geeklog.net/tracking/ now - also linked from the "Support" section in the left column as well as from the documentation.

bye, Dirk

Geeklog - Forum
https://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=73270