Subject: Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 12/09/03 01:46am
By: vinny

There has been a lot of requests for an upgrade to the calendar for Geeklog 1.3.x. I\'m working on such an upgrade to be a plugin replacement for the calendar. Major imporvements and features include full support for recurring events, iCalendar compatibility, full Geeklog group/user integration, and much more. So far I\'ve completed work on the MySQL tables, and gotten pretty far working on a display class. I would appreciate it if people took a look at the table definitions to make sure I\'m not missing anything obvious. Check out what is completed so far at: http://shell.abtech.org/~vmf/geeklog/calendar.html. I\'ll post progress updates to this thread as work gets completed. Any questions or suggestions can be posted here or emailed to me at vinny01@users.sourceforge.net. -Vinny

Re:Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 02/10/03 01:35pm
By: emagin

Well, here goes some thoughts on what could be very useful in new calendar: Cribbing a bit from my favorite Online Calendar.

Group Views
The most important feature of all.
Security based group views into ONE calendar.
Idea would be to have multiple groups be able to post their events into one calendar (analogy would be multiple departments in one company).
The events show up as different colors See exmample
Buttons or drop-down allows selection of ALL groups (visible to this user's security rights), or just ONE group.
Colors help distinguish views when you show ALL
Users with no rights to a group never see events for that group
(Security wise very much in the vein of current Forums plug-in, which you can assign View/Post rights to a specific group and hide from others.)

Multi-view, multi-format
Views: daily, weekly, monthly, yearly, Go to Date
Formats: calendar, list, print view (no wrapper)

Search
Integrate calendar content into search function of GL.
Account for security as mentioned above.

Recurring eventsevents that occur once a month, every other week on Tuesday and Thursday, or the last Thursday of each month. calendarInfusion supports a wide variety of recurrence rule possibilities!

Email notifications
event reminders allow users to be notified of their favorite events.

Posted on: 02/10/03 02:06pm
By: ronack

Is this different than the Group Events hack?

Posted on: 02/10/03 02:15pm

I dunno. I tried to get the groups hack to work but could not after a couple of hours of diddling. So I gave up. Do you have a working example?

Posted on: 02/10/03 05:01pm

This has no relation to the group events hack. I did not work on that hack, nor have I even tried it. This will be a from scratch Calendar plugin to replace Geeklog's current calendar.

-Vinny

Posted on: 02/10/03 06:24pm
By: ronack

[QUOTE BY= vinny] This has no relation to the group events hack. I did not work on that hack, nor have I even tried it. This will be a from scratch Calendar plugin to replace Geeklog's current calendar.

-Vinny[/QUOTE]

Super that hack was buggy.

Posted on: 02/10/03 06:33pm

Hey, I'm willing to PayPal 10 bones into the pot if you get something going on this. The group calendar thing with GL groups security (and corresponding GUI as I mention above) would be very sweet for my needs!

Posted on: 12/10/03 11:41am

Work is progressing:

http://shell.abtech.org/~vmf/geeklog/calendar.html

-Vinny

Posted on: 13/10/03 03:20pm
By: jef

Hi Vinny,

Here are a few things I'd like to see included in a calendar upgrade:

1) Possibility to link an event directly to a Static Page (or any other page). Lets say I have "Soccer game" listed as an event for Oct. 20th. When I'd click on "Soccer game", it would not be directing me to the event page generated by the calendar, but instead to a Static Page of my choice.

2) Language: I'd appreciate to see the names of the MONTH and DAY linked to the language files, so it doesn't show English only

Thanks for considering

Posted on: 13/10/03 09:28pm

[QUOTE BY= jef]
1) Possibility to link an event directly to a Static Page (or any other page). Lets say I have "Soccer game" listed as an event for Oct. 20th. When I'd click on "Soccer game", it would not be directing me to the event page generated by the calendar, but instead to a Static Page of my choice.

2) Language: I'd appreciate to see the names of the MONTH and DAY linked to the language files, so it doesn't show English only
[/QUOTE]

As for 1, I'm already planning on supporting "resources" in the form of URLs, any number for a given event. I'm taking the easy way out by using php's built in ability to get labels for MONTHs and DAY for many languages.

-Vinny

Posted on: 21/10/03 01:56pm

[QUOTE BY= vinny]I'm already planning on supporting "resources" in the form of URLs, any number for a given event. [/QUOTE]

Could you be more specific? I don't really understand how this would work...

[QUOTE BY= vinny]I'm taking the easy way out by using php's built in ability to get labels for MONTHs and DAY for many languages[/QUOTE]

This is great. Tell me if you want a french translation for your plugin.

Thanks

-jef

Posted on: 21/10/03 02:19pm

[QUOTE BY= jef]Could you be more specific? I don't really understand how this would work...[/QUOTE]

Basically events will let you link to as many URLs as you would like. The URLs could be to html pages, documents, picutres...pretty much anything.

This is great. Tell me if you want a french translation for your plugin.

Eventually I'm sure I will need help with translations, but not anytime soon.

-Vinny

Posted on: 25/10/03 10:45am

Okay then. I'm really interested in this new calendar. In fact, I really need something like this. Please tell me more about a time frame - when do you think it could be available?

Thanks

- jef

Posted on: 25/10/03 11:43am

Jef, how about we commit some cash to the cause, ey?
I've already offered to PayPal 10.
I guess it would be nice to see some working concept and then pool our funds to encourage a beta release.

What do you say?

Posted on: 25/10/03 12:11pm

Well, I'm also ready to commit cash. I wouldn't be asking for this without paying. I'm ready to put $50 for a beta version, and another $50 for a final work. It's a little over 10 bucks, but it's for a "commercial" cause one might say. Of course, be sure I'll need a receipt.

Waiting for more.

- jef

Posted on: 08/11/03 10:33pm
By: Anonymous

I was told that I should post here. I am switching over to GL. I have a very active calendars for antique fairs and auctions. 2 to 20 or even 30 auctions a day. that many events does not look very nice in a grid. I was wondering if you would consider an alternative lost format. you can see my calendar at http://www.iantiquesguide.com

Thanks in advance
Jack

Posted on: 13/12/03 02:53pm

We will have a beta version for testing which uses External Pages plugin and Webcalendar

after much research we determined this to be the best calendar out there with the most flexibility

"categories" will be determined by GL groups, so that you can assign security for users to different groups and let them see different 'categories' of calendar entries.

ALL together (different colors) or one at a time via pop-up menu interface.

Is there still financial commitment from some of you?
I'm paying development time for this.

Thanks

Posted on: 13/12/03 03:30pm

Hi,

yes, I'm ready to PayPal.

Gimme an addres pls.

Thx

Posted on: 15/12/03 01:08pm

Hang on...I emailed Vinny about his own calendar work to see if we should pool efforts or at least touch base before we release our beta.

So Vinny, what's the word?

Posted on: 23/12/03 10:41am

pls have me posted for download

Posted on: 30/12/03 07:27pm

all this calendar talk is making me drool. so far i understand there is a project underway with vinny and emagin. are the both of you still considering consolidating your efforts ? i really like the email notifications features in both these calendars.

Posted on: 30/12/03 08:19pm

I understand emagin is working on porting webcalendar. I've pretty much frozen work on my calendar for the time being. I've been busy with other Geeklog work and I think emagin's work has a better chance of getting done more quickly.

-Vinny

Posted on: 30/12/03 08:55pm

Thanks Vinny. We were down for the holidays for a bit there, but slowly ramping up again. Will post something here in the next few days. I'd expect mid-January we'll see some decent beta work.

If anyone else wants to contribute to the cause feel free to paypal Big Grin

Posted on: 20/01/04 02:26pm

We are still working on this. A sample to be released in about 7-10 days. Thanks for your patience.

What we are doing is:
Allow addition of .webcalendar security context to Groups
Any Group which is a part of .webcalendar becomes a CATEGORY for which to assign calendar items to.
Assign USERS to individual Groups (with .webcalendar context), and those USERS can see any CATEGORY of calendar items for the GROUPS to which they belong, but not others.
Allow assignment of ANONYMOUS to calendar entries

Display calendar entries:
When calendar items displayed, you can show:
ALL, Anonymous, CAT1, CAT2, CAT3, etc. (for those CATs for which USER belongs to CAT=GROUP here)

We found this is very useful in larger GL communities since your calendar will just fill up and overwhelm the end-user with tons of lines in each day.
This allows sysadmins to create Departments, or Groups within a GL community and allow these Departments to share calendars, but still print out separate calendars for just their department.

It also allows for a scenario in which a Board of Directors might have a calendar to share, but not want to make it visible to the other Departments in their community, whereas the Planning Committee and the Environment Committee (for ex.) might want to share calendars with each other.

I'm not quite sure about changing from users IN a group, to groups IN groups. We'll have to see how that works later on.

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 06/02/04 12:59pm

Is there any new information?
Jack

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 06/02/04 01:04pm

We're getting closer and make an announcement shortly on the beta. It's taking a bit longer than usual as it's a fairly volunteer thing here and we are slammed.

Thanks

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 27/02/04 09:29am

Hey guys,

I'm really excited about this new calendar... Is there a status update and/or a release date?

Thanks,

Tom

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 29/02/04 07:46pm

I am not convinced this calendar upgrade is even going to happen. It seems like more work has been done on writing messages about it here than actually producing the darn thing.

That said, I'd LOVE to see a decent calendar plugin materialize one day.

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 01/03/04 05:25pm

I would find this extremely useful as well.

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 30/03/04 04:41pm

Still working on this. Groups security is tough to translate that properly to who can see what in different categories of data on the calendar.

Meanwhile, here are some examples of good calendar implementations in PHP that are a good guide for featureset:

Kronophobia - School oriented, good GUI, groups (+), SSL (+)

PHP iCalendar - iCal, interoperability (+), Groups (+)

WebCalendar - Our favorite, looks quite mature with Groups (++) but complex, with good import/export possible Palm synch coming soon which we value

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 31/03/04 12:46am
By: samstone

If you can release a simple integration without group security, I am sure many people would be very happy. Their complaint about the current calender is mainly about the pain to post recurring events.

Most people use calenders on websites for public viewing. They are not good for privite use anyway because most people don't have the luxurious time to update their personal appointments on the web. Still, security features can be added in later.

In stead of wrapping someone else's calendar, I prefer to see upgrading the GL Calender codes itself to make it able to handle recurring events, like Vinny started to do a while back.

Sorry, if I sound instructive without being helpful. My other priorities are killing me, or I would definitly help out.

Sam

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 21/04/04 05:30pm

I agree. Public viewing is something I would be mainly interested in, and the recurring events is something that would be extremely useful for my own personal site.

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 21/04/04 08:45pm

I'm looking for a calendar that integrates with my stories. So a story can be an event topic and a summarised version goes in the calendar.

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 21/04/04 11:19pm
By: drshakagee

[QUOTE BY= emagin]PHP iCalendar - iCal, interoperability (+), Groups (+)
[/QUOTE]

I have a version of PHPiCalendar that works with geeklog. It is at this point a basic integration but I am slowly changing that. I will put it up for people to play with in a few days.

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 17/05/04 01:11am
By: zachofalltrades

[QUOTE BY= drshakagee] [QUOTE BY= emagin]PHP iCalendar - iCal, interoperability (+), Groups (+)
[/QUOTE]

I have a version of PHPiCalendar that works with geeklog. It is at this point a basic integration but I am slowly changing that. I will put it up for people to play with in a few days.[/QUOTE]

I'd LOVE to try this. I'm very new to GL (have only been playing around with demos, and visting sites created with GL). A calendar with good repeating event support is critical in my final selection of a CMS.

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 17/09/04 04:37pm

I'm happy to report that we are a couple of days away from releasing a calendar update that incorporates security-based categories for events, so that you can show one/many categories of events on a page.

These are code modifications, we are nowhere near doing a plugin, but I hope it will be useful.

At the moment this is a direct code update to GL code, not an integration with other calendar tools, which proved a bit complex and time consuming.

Ed

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 22/09/04 04:49pm
By: jackknyc

Will the new upgrade allow me to add repeating events, Weekly or Monthly?

Thanks in advance,
Jack K

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 22/09/04 04:56pm

We've included the simple hack that was already posted before that lets you do basic X repeat (week month) but not Outlook style (last thursday of month, every other, etc.)

The code is now done and we are going to upload the DIFF and the hack instructions to Downloads at geeklog.net

Note: This is a HACK not a plugin, because calendar is so integrated into application. It's a first cut.

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 24/09/04 03:19pm
By: jackknyc

Thank's Can you let me know when and where I can download it?

Best,
Jack

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 11/11/04 03:01pm

Has there been any progress on the upgrade?

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 14/12/04 12:46pm
By: montezuma

[QUOTE BY= emagin] I'm happy to report that we are a couple of days away from releasing a calendar update that incorporates security-based categories for events, so that you can show one/many categories of events on a page.
[/QUOTE]

Did this code ever get released? Does anyone know of any hacks/upgrades to improve the basic calendar shipped with 1.3.10? For example, it would be great if the events could be assigned to a topic/category and then the events could be filtered.

Is anything out there already? Thanks.

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 14/12/04 02:14pm
By: beewee

It would also be nice to be able to use military time (13:15) instead of the am/pm time (01:15PM), I guess.

Calendar Hack - Dynamic Categories

Posted on: 14/01/05 12:46pm

Just uploaded the hack to the GL updates repository.
Once approved you can check out the README and see all the calendar files that have been modified.

Screenshot shows you the dropdown at top and bottom of page to choose the category.
You need to create a GROUP called cal_categoryname and this will allow you to generate categories as you see fit dynamically.

All the best.

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 17/03/05 05:17pm

So what ever happened to this calendar upgrade?? Does anyone else know of any other calender plugins (sorry don't want to try to hack it yet). I've been toying with the idea to use geeklog for the companies intranet, but could REALLY use a calendar system to replace the garbage that outlook does.

-Rob

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 17/03/05 05:37pm

The hack works but it might not meet all your requirements.

I've tried all manner of web-based calendars, and I guarantee you, there is nothing out there that can easily replace Outlook.

My primary requirements are:
Intelligent multi-event scheduling
Sharing events, inviting others
Seamless sync with Phones, Palms and Pocket PC devices (good luck!)
Plugins that work with Skype, Vonage or other VOIP tools
Multiple users sharing - can do with Exchange, MDaemon groupware, many others
Drag 'n drop events onto calendar
iCalendar compatible (Outlook blows at this admittedly)

There is a great calendar module for Xoops that is the model of what I would like for Geeklog.
It can't do all the above by any means, but it can sure do web calendar well. It's the best I've seen sofar.

But first the Calendar should be broken out to be a plugin, makes no sense to keep it so tightly integrated to core code.
Is this happening in 2?

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 17/03/05 05:42pm
By: asmaloney

[QUOTE BY= emagin]
But first the Calendar should be broken out to be a plugin, makes no sense to keep it so tightly integrated to core code.
Is this happening in 2?
[/QUOTE]

Check out this discussion.

- Andy

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 18/03/05 12:06am
By: ajzz

emagin, after you check out the thread andy has suggested above, do let me know how easy it is going to be to port piCal (i think the xoops version you were refering to) to GL.

thx,

ajay

edit: i am willing to provide assistance in this project, but my skills are rather rudimentary.

Calendar Upgrade

Posted on: 06/04/05 12:03am
By: sierra

I found this calendar the other day. It is called Schoolbell, it is designed to run as a Zope3 plugin. There is also a standalone version which I now have running on our server. I was wondering if it can be used as a plugin for Geeklog.

Here is the url: http://www.schooltool.org/schoolbell/

Thanks

Steve

Geeklog - Forum
https://www.geeklog.net/forum/viewtopic.php?showtopic=24710