Subject: Groups, Permissions ...
Posted on: 08/09/03 04:29am
I know this may have had been asked til death ... but after searching around I can\'t really see anything I really want.
1. I have an Internal GL site
2. I need to incorporate another group of users to the site, using just one generic username.
3. My present users are all in the default group which GL assigns, meaning that I have never created any group.
4. I have sensitive information that I cannot allow the new users to access
5. I tried some of the past solutions that Dirk, Blaine and other users have recommended. Don\'t seems to work as what I want
My intended setup would be
1. They cannot see the header topics meant for my original group.
2. They have their own header topic once login.
3. If possible, they cannot access all the staticpages that I created intended for my original group.
If anyone can enlightened ... Thanks 1,000,000 !!!
Posted on: 08/09/03 12:16pm
Posted on: 08/09/03 09:02pm
Ok, I think I make it simpler .. I hope it\'s simpler...
1. No need to have different headers ( Bad UID then
2. Juz need to give access to them in Forum
3. That\'s it ...
Posted on: 10/09/03 10:50am
I\'m not entirely sure that this is what you are asking, but here is what I think you are asking:
1. You want to create new user(s) in a new group, that have very restricted access.
2. You want them to have access to your forum. I\'m not quite sure by this whether you mean for them to share the forum topics of your other users, or if you want them to only have access to a subset of forums, but it doesn\'t make much difference either way.
-Create a seperate group for each of your topics.
-Assign each topic to belong to the apporiate group.
-Assign each static page to belong to one of these groups.
-Assign each forum to one of these groups.
-Turn of access to any \'sensitive\' pages for \'members\' and \'anonymous\'
-Assign each user to be a member of each group you want them to have access to.
This should result in each user seeing only content they have access to.
You have the following topics:
\'Top secret reports\'
Create two groups
Assign each topic to belong to the apporpriate group, and turn off \'member\' and \'anonymous\' access on both topics.
Now, edit each of your original users so that they are members of
the \'secret_stuff\' group. (and members of the \'boring_stuff\' group if you want them to have access to those things as well.)
Create your new users so that they are members of the \'boring_stuff\' group.
Change each forum and staticpage similarly so that they belong to either \'secret_stuff\' or \'boring_stuff\'
Hopefully that helps,
Geeklog - Forum