Dirk's Bad Behavior plugin for Geeklog has been updated to the latest version of Bad Behavior (v2.0.10) written by Michael Hampton. Bad Behavior 2 is a major upgrade from the original Bad Behavior previously included with the Bad Behavior Geeklog plugin. You can download the latest Bad Behavior 2 plugin here
The Bad Behavior 2 plugin is designed to integrate into your web site, running as early as possible to throw out spam bots before they have the opportunity to vandalize your site with their junk, or even to scrape your pages for e-mail addresses and forms to fill out. For more information on Bad Behavior, see the main Bad Behavior web site[*2] .
Some of the enhancements found in Bad Behavior v2.0.10 include:
- Bad Behavior 2 is faster than Bad Behavior 1. For most requests, Bad Behavior 2 issues at most one fast database query, and in many cases, no database queries. Bad Behavior's run time on fast servers is measured in single milliseconds.
- Bad Behavior 2 has been enhanced with additional checks for spammers who have started or increased their activity in the last year. It also has better screening of trackback spam, killing virtually all of it. Bad Behavior 1 permitted a lot of trackback spam.
- A new blocking method using realtime blackhole lists is being used to determine if a post originates from a known spam source, open proxy, etc. GET requests are not screened. Links are provided to blackhole list removal procedures through the fix it yourself link.
Enhancements to the plugin include:
- Requires Geeklog v1.4.0 or later
- Removed Spam-X module - No longer necessary with Bad Behavior 2
- Removed un-block IP option - No longer necessary with Bad Behavior 2
- Added PHP block function - allows you to display BB2 stats in a Geeklog block
Be sure to read the upgrade instructions
included in the distribution if you are currently running Bad Behavior 1.