Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 07:48 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Story Author can't retrieve draft (or edit any post)

dave0604

Anonymous
Hi,
I'm using the GoDaddy GeekLog Installation.
I want to enable a user to create and edit a post, but restrict the user from approving the post.
I created a user account and assigned the user "Story Admin" capability.

When the user tries to edit a post which they created, they get this error:
Fatal error: Call to a member function displayElements() on a non-object in /home/content/04/5043704/html/geeklog/system/lib-story.php on line 83

Can I create a user who can put up a post and then edit it without giving them authority to approve the post?

If so, what steps do I take to accomplist this?

It seems the only way around this is to give the user Root access.

Please offer your comments.
Thanks,
Dave

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
That error message is a bug (to be fixed in 1.6.1) - it should display a proper "access denied" message.

For the actual problem, see Setting up a Story Admin.

bye, Dirk

dave0604@gmail.com

Anonymous
Hi Dirk,
Thanks for your reply.
It seems if I set up a StoryAdmin the way you and the faq describe, then they will have permission to "Approve" the post so that it is visible to all.

I have some young people who are contributors and I want the ability for them to update their posts before they are ready for publishing (sometimes the post doesn't make it into the database so I want them to be able to save the post early in its creation and then modify it so they don't lose a lot of work)

So, I want the contributor to be able to edit their own work, but in restricted mode so they Can Not approve it for publishing.

From what you wrote, it appears to me that this sequence is prohibited in GeekLog regardless of how it set it up.

In other words, I want the contributor to be able to edit their post without being able to approve it. Can this be enforced?
Thanks,
David

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
I'm afraid Geeklog doesn't support that kind of workflow. You can either use the moderation queue - but then only a moderator / story admin can edit the story. Or you can give people story.edit access - but then they can approve / publish their stories themselves.

bye, Dirk

1000ideen

Forum User
I saw this idea before with some 3 or 4 editors who were supposed to agree together before a story would be published. This is very specific.

You could try to use 2 themes. In one there is a greyed out tick box for draft and draft is default with new stories.
The root admin could use a normal theme where he could tick off the box.

All times are EDT. The time is now 07:48 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content