Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 23 2024 @ 02:25 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Static page HTML limit

Bullfn33

Forum User
Junior
It appears that there is a limit to the amount of HTML code you can enter into the content portion of a static page. Is there a way to expand the amount it will except?

Thank you for any help!

jmucchiello

Forum User
What is the limit? How much did you want to input and how much actually was allowed? What editor were you using? What version of Geeklog?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
See one of the many earlier discussions.

bye, Dirk

Bullfn33

Forum User
Junior
according to that earlier discussion, I need to modify the my.cnf file. What folder is this located in? Is there a path to follow to get there? Do I use phpmyadmin?

I'm not sure what the limit is or how much is allowed. I'm trying to put an excel component in the static page so there is a lot of code. I don't know what editor it is and I'm using GL v1.4.0, I believe.

I'm a big time beginner with this stuff so I'm pretty clueless. Thanks for your help.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
my.cnf is the MySQL configuration file. Unless you're running your own server, you won't have access to it. And you shouldn't need to.

As explained in the other thread, staticpages use fields of type TEXT to store the text, which are limited to 64K. You can change the type of the sp_content field to type MEDIUMTEXT or LARGETEXT to get more (too lazy to look up the actual limits, sorry). And you can do that in phpMyAdmin.

bye, Dirk

Bullfn33

Forum User
Junior
Quote by: Dirk

my.cnf is the MySQL configuration file. Unless you're running your own server, you won't have access to it. And you shouldn't need to.

As explained in the other thread, staticpages use fields of type TEXT to store the text, which are limited to 64K. You can change the type of the sp_content field to type MEDIUMTEXT or LARGETEXT to get more (too lazy to look up the actual limits, sorry). And you can do that in phpMyAdmin.

bye, Dirk

That seemed to help the problem, so thank you for the tip. Just out of curiosity, which option would allow me to insert the most amount of code, medium or large text?

jmucchiello

Forum User
mediumtext can hold about 16Meg of text, largetext can hold 4Gig of data. You probably don't need anything bigger than a mediumtext. I can't imagine reading a 16Meg HTML page.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Also, you will probably run into other limits (HTTP POST limit of your browser or webserver, maybe even timeout issues) way before you hit 16 MB ...

bye, Dirk

Bullfn33

Forum User
Junior
Ok, I'll keep that stuff in mind. Thanks again for the help.

All times are EDT. The time is now 02:25 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content