Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 04:06 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

User submitting images with story

holla

Forum User
Why can't a user submit images with a story?

I looked through config.php, these forum postings, admin/story/storyeditor.php and submit.php. There's not a place for user submission of images in submit.php or submit/submitstory.thtml.

Am I missing something here? Does someone have a hack for submit.php and submit/submitstory.thtml that allows this?

Thanks,
Craig

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by holla: Why can't a user submit images with a story?

Because so far no one has bothered to implement it ...

bye, Dirk

holla

Forum User
OK, thanks for the answer. Looks like I need that feature. Any pointers on where to start other than the files I mentioned above?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Well, the code is in the Admin's story editor, i.e. in admin/story.php ...

bye, Dirk

holla

Forum User
OK, I'll let you know how it goes.

kingsley

Forum User
Junior
OK I am a relative noob to GL but the solution we plan to implement for this is to set up a group called "members" that will have story.edit authority. This lets any user that belongs to that group have all the functions for submitting a story.

Of course we are going to limit this to paying members of our group/club so the number of users affected is small and generally easy to manage. The one issue that I am trying to work through now is that by default the permissions for the story are set to Group Edit so a user would have to unselect that in order to restrict other members from editing their story. I would prefer that this was unselected by default. I am pretty sure I can do that I just havn't dug deep enough yet.

beewee

Forum User
Well, the code is in the Admin's story editor, i.e. in admin/story.php

Forgive me, I'm a PHP newbie, but do you mean I could replace the code to submit a story in submit.php with the code from admin/story.php ?
Dutch Geeklog sites about camping/hiking:
www.kampeerzaken.nl | www.campersite.nl | www.caravans.nl | www.caravans.net

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by beewee: do you mean I could replace the code to submit a story in submit.php with the code from admin/story.php ?

No. You could probably lift some code (for the actual image upload and scaling) from admin/story.php, but it certainly requires changes and some new code to make it work in submit.php

bye, Dirk

WarpGate

Anonymous
Has anyone achieved a hack to achieve this ? that they could share, I'd like to let users add stories with images (but i would want story admins to approve befor eit went live)

Standard stories but with a single image, no dates, just a story and an image, then the story admins would see the new story and have to appove it or reject it before it went live

Cheers

Svobi

Forum User
Hiyas...
I want exactly the same - spoke with Dirk in teh german board about that stuff.

I'm not really a php guru neither a geeklog one, but I worked a bit on the User editor: copied and edited some code.

So far I managed to give the public (of course tuned & expanded *g*) editor a second text input field like the admin editor has: Intro- and Bodytext. I made some changes to the code and added a field in the DB - this works great so far.

Next step was to implement the file upload and image inclusion stuff. I copied the code from the admin-story.php to the user-submission.php as good as I could. Of course edited the user-editor-template. I turned on debugging, put in a direct submission button to avoid the preview-error-bug and after selecting one file to upload, the debug shows me the name of the file - but it didn't upload it. So I guess I'm not far away from the final result but I need some help here since I'm stuck. I *guess* it's only the call for the upload-function or something like that, but after several hours I really can't find it.

So if anyone has some knowledge of php & geeklog (editor) code, I'm willing to give him full access to my test-system where he can view and play with my edited code. If it work's finally and I can follow the step's I can put stuff together for everyone to use it.

Feel free to contact me Very Happy

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:06 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content