Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 12:44 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Installing Geeklog on PHP 4.1.x - Please read this first

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
As stated in the documentation, Geeklog 1.3.10 now requires at least PHP 4.1.0. What has been overlooked, however, is that the PEAR packages that we're shipping with Geeklog now require at least PHP 4.2.0.

Here's how to work around this problem:

1. Download the updated PEAR packages (direct download link - 154 KByte). Remove the contents of the system/pear directory that's included in the 1.3.10 tarball and unpack the new PEAR packages inside that directory.

2. Edit lib-common.php and insert the following piece of code at approx. line 140 (right after the if block that starts with if( !$_CONF['have_pear'] )):
    Text Formatted Code
    if( !function_exists( 'is_a' ))
    {
        require_once( 'PHP/Compat.php' );

PHP_Compat::loadFunction( 'is_a' );
    }

This has been tested on PHP 4.1.2 (Thanks, Tom) and will be included in future releases.

bye, Dirk

[ edit: Just to make that clear: The new piece of code has to be inserted after the if block, not just after that one if statement quoted above. The if block ends in line 139 (in the lib-common.php for Geeklog 1.3.10), so the new piece of code should be inserted in line 140 |

gape

Forum User

is there an option to tell geeklog that the pear package is installed separatly
in /usr/share/pear, for example, on systems runinng PHP 4.1.x (latest stable for debian is 4.1.3 as i hear) and NOT as a part of PHP package?

so ... the pear package IS installed, but geeklog does not (as it seems) recognize it as usable?

next thing is
is it possible that in update for 1.3.10 that issue will be fixed, or do i have to patch all the geeklog instalations with this solution of yours?

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Quote by gape: is there an option to tell geeklog that the pear package is installed separatly in /usr/share/pear

Set $_CONF['path_pear'] accordingly. Just make sure you have the PHP_Compat package installed.

bye, Dirk

Aloysius

Anonymous
Hi

I am running Geeklog 1.3.9 on Redhat 7.3 with PHP Version 4.1.2. RH 7.3 no longer has any updates which means that I cannot upgrade to PHP 4.2.0.

I am thinking of upgrading to Geeklog 1.3.11 but am wondering if I can do so without goint the updated PEAR packages route. Will my Geeklog crash?

Can you please tell me:

1. what this does PEAR does?
2. Can Geeklog 1.3.11 work without it? Any security issues?
3. Will the future versions ie. 1.3.12 accommodate PHP 4.1.2?

Thank you.

knuff

Forum User
Quote by Aloysius:
3. Will the future versions ie. 1.3.12 accommodate PHP 4.1.2?

I am afraid the answer will be no, if you look at the recent poll where only 8 % is running a lower version as 4.2 and PHP strong recommendation to upgrade to fix some vulnerabilities.

Since it also fixes quite a few security issues, you will surely benefit on the long run.

I know this didn´t really answered the question, but still Mr. Green
Vanrillaer.com - our Family Portal

ltcolumbo

Forum User
Regular Poster
Quote by Aloysius: Hi

I am running Geeklog 1.3.9 on Redhat 7.3 with PHP Version 4.1.2. RH 7.3 no longer has any updates which means that I cannot upgrade to PHP 4.2.0.

You don't have to rely on RPMs to install everything for you.. you can download source and compile/install.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
In the hope to make this clear:

Geeklog currently requires PHP 4.1.0 and I don't see this changing anytime soon.

So there's no need to upgrade to PHP 4.2.0 (at least for Geeklog - it would be a good idea from a security point of view, though!). That Geeklog 1.3.10 required PHP 4.2.0 was an oversight (aka bug). The fix is to upgrade to Geeklog 1.3.11, which comes with all the PEAR classes it requires.

bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 12:44 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content