Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, March 28 2024 @ 04:51 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Gallery 'Album Permissions' not working correctly

johnjr

Forum User
Chatty

I've installed Gallery (1.4.4-pl2, plus the patches), integrated with Geeklog 1.3.9rs1. The installation went pretty good (after I fixed my mistakes), but I am having a problem with 'album permissions'.

When I try to set/change permissions, I've found that once the permissions are set for a 'User Group', then that permission can't be changed to anything else. If I set an album permission to a single user, then I can easily change that permission.

Has anyone else had any similar problems? Anyone know of a fix?

John

johnjr

Forum User
Chatty

So, I guess no one else is having this problem?

John

jonc

Forum User
Chatty
I have the same combination of software, and had problems with granting permissions in general. Only 'root' access had the right to creat albums, upload pics, etc. I couldn't grant access to anyone else to do anything else, but view.

I was given the answer at this topic: here

johnjr

Forum User
Chatty
My probem is that I can't 'delete' a User Group from a 'permission', once it's been 'assigned' to that 'permission'. So, for example, if I set the 'Add Photo' permission to the 'Forum Admin' group, then I can't get rid of that group from that 'permission', unless I set that 'permission' to 'EVERYBODY'. If I try to set it back to 'NOBODY', nothing happens - I'm 'stuck' with that User Group in that 'permission' window.

John

jonc

Forum User
Chatty
I just did the scenario that you mentioned. I didn't have a problem removing a person or group from having permission.

There are arrows going two directions. The one pointing right adds people / groups to a permission catagory. The one pointing left removes them. You do have to highlight the person in the permission catagory for the arrow to remove them.

I hope that is what you are trying to figure out.

johnjr

Forum User
Chatty

Yes, I'm doing it 'correctly', but it simply doesn't work with any of the Geeklog groups. It works fine with individual users, but not Geeklog Group Users (such as Forum Admin, etc.).

Could this have something to do with 'permissions' set at the ISP level?

John

jonc

Forum User
Chatty
OUCH!!

When I did it before I just used a user. I just tried it with a group and now can't remove it. I added a different group to see if i could 'swap' them, but now they are both stuck there. There is obviously a problem with the javascript in the popup permissions box... which probably takes us to the gallery forum.

johnjr

Forum User
Chatty

I've tried to get help on the Gallery website, but so far, no help.

John

jonc

Forum User
Chatty
It seems that the permissions popup is changing the users preferences correctly, but not the groups, so I am curious to know if there is anyway to change it manually (for now, as it is not a problem that we will face tooooo often).

I've gone through PHPmyadmin and see no reference to Gallery in the database. I can't see anywhere else where the premissions info is kept. Does anyone else know??

jonc

Forum User
Chatty
I found the actual database for the albums; there is one for each album found at /path/to/gallery/albums/youralbum/album.dat.

If you view the contents of that file, you will find something like this

Text Formatted Code
...s:13:"canChangeText";a:3:{i:-6;i:1;i:-4;i:1;s:6:"nobody";i:1;}...

the "i:-6;1:1" is one of the groups that you added. When you remove that it seems to be putting "nobody" back in but not removing the groups added (only users).

I haven't figured out how to change/edit this file yet, but i'm working on it.

jonc

Forum User
Chatty
I ftp'd the album.dat file in question to my desktop, where I could edit it. I could not change permissions on that file type on the server so I renamed the file to albumBAK.dat and ftp'd the changed file back up to the server.

The change you want to make is to take the permission catagory in question and change it to:

Text Formatted Code
...s:13:"canChangeText";a:0{}...

Where the "0" in: a:0{} lists the number of list items that follow in the "{}". The default is NOBODY, so you don't want anything in that list (therefore "0{}").

Now don't assign a group permissions to an album unless you mean it.

JensT

Anonymous
Hi,

my Name is Jens, i am a Member of Gallery DevTeam.

Gallery 1 itself can not handle groups.
What we do to support Geeklog groups is a kind of "trick". We treat the groups as users.

But this is only done for GeekLog !

I also wonder why Gallery related things are not asked/discussed in Gallery forum.
Because we dont monitor other forums.
I found this thread due to a hint from a GeekLog user (Georg).

Regards,

Jens

jonc

Forum User
Chatty
I also wonder why Gallery related things are not asked/discussed in Gallery forum.

I did (and so did Johnjr).

johnjr

Forum User
Chatty

I asked about this problem 6 days ago, in the Gallery Forum, and never got an answer.

John

All times are EDT. The time is now 04:51 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content