Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 18 2024 @ 11:54 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

Do Not Want User Login Box

jeff343

Anonymous
Hi,

I want to start a new blogger site- have been using greymatter for a while and just want something new.

I do not want any users to be able to login. All I want is a blogger type thing- no one leaving comments, no one personalizing anything, nothing like that- just straight up blogger.

b2evolution and nucleus I find are very difficult to customize and always result in simple, boring sites. I like the look and feel of Geeklog- is there any way I can get rid of the login box?

Thanks,
jeff

Blaine

Forum User
Well the problem may be how would you login then. If the login form is not presented then noboddy would be able to login including admin.

You can disable registration and replace the login form with a simple login link.
Geeklog components by PortalParts -- www.portalparts.com

jeff343

Anonymous
Thanks Blaine- that appears how they do it on http://www.opensourcecms.com for the Geeklog tester. I was able to delete the user function box, but still login through a link they had made for it. I guess it is typically that way for all CMS.

Do you think Geeklog is overkill for my purposes? I've been wanting to try it- all I really need is a blogger that has the capability to look nice- a lot of the software that is meant for blogging is ugly and not very customizable.

Thanks.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Plan B would be to hide the Login block from anoynmous users (uncheck the "Anonymous R" checkbox for the User Functions block) and then always log in through http://yoursite.com/users.php

Users could still register with the site, though, it just wouldn't be that obvious any more. And you can switch on the user submission queue so anyone who managed to register with the site would have to be approved by the Admin (i.e. you) first.

If you search the forums, you should be able to find some hacks for this, btw.

bye, Dirk

JoelF

Forum User
Chatty
I like Plan B since it doesn't mean hacking core stuff that might be replaced with an update, except that the user submission box also has a link to create an account - I guess that could be removed too. Maybe this is a feature request for v2? Selectively disabling the login and "request account" functionality throughout with a couple of checkboxes or an entry in config.php?

JoelF

Forum User
Chatty
Ok, so I went looking around - this only took a couple of minutes. Assuming:
a) You want to allow login on the home page
b) You don't want to allow registration on either the home page or the story submission page

You can do the following two steps:

* To remove the create account option from the User Functions block, REPLACE the text at line 102 of english.php (or find the similar line in your language.php file) that says:
59 => "Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a New User",

with 59 => "",

This is a hack, but just removes the whole string from the output, including the link.

* To remove the "Create Account" link on the Submit Story form (linked on the menu bar):
Comment out line 318 in submit.php

//$storyform->set_var('create_account','' . $LANG12[53] . '');

Quick, easy and does the trick without much surgery...

Hope this helps,

Joel

JoelF

Forum User
Chatty
>Ok, so I went looking around - this only took a couple >of minutes. Assuming:
>a) You want to allow login on the home page
>b) You don't want to allow registration on either the >home page or the story submission page

Oops - there's a third link to remove - the one that appears when you try to log in unsuccessfully. Here are all three edits in one place, hopefully without being rendered as html...

PREAMBLE: BACK UP YOUR ORIGINAL COPY OF ENGLISH.PHP and SUBMIT.PHP. As so well put in the install instructions for GL "you have been warned"!

THE FOLLOWING THREE EDITS will remove the offers to create a new account for anonymous users (I -think- this catches all of the places...)

1) MODIFY two lines in your 'language'.php file (in my case english.php)
-------------------------
MODIFY Line 102, that says:
59 => "Don't have an account yet? Sign up as a <a href="{$_CONF['site_url']}/users.php?mode=new">New User</a>",

REPLACE THIS with:
59 => "",
------------------------
MODIFY Line 274, which starts with:
66 => "You may have mistyped ...

and ends with:
Are you a <a href="{$_CONF['site_url']}/users.php?mode=new">new user</a>?",

REMOVE this sentence, so that the line ends this way:
... logging in again below.",

In other words, excise the sentence and link from the end, making sure that the line still ends with a quote - comma combination.
-----------------------

2) Modify one line in submit.php (removes the "Create Account" link on the Submit Story form)
Find line 318 in submit.php that looks something like this:
$storyform->set_var('create_account','<a href="' . $_CONF['site_url'] . '/users.php?mode=new">' . $LANG12[53]

and comment it out, like this:
//$storyform->set_var('create_account','<a href="' . $_CONF['site_url'] . '/users.php?mode=new">' . $LANG12[53]

Quick, easy and does the trick without much surgery...

Hope this helps,

Joel

Jane

Anonymous
THANK YOU SO MUCH JOEL

You do want the user login for your site admins, but you just don't want the invite to have random users sign up.

I do not have the option to update to 1.4 so this info helped me a lot.

Again a thanks a million!

Big Celebration

Jane

Anonymous
curious
Quote by Jane: THANK YOU SO MUCH JOEL

You do want the user login for your site admins, but you just don't want the invite to have random users sign up.

I do not have the option to update to 1.4 so this info helped me a lot.

Again a thanks a million!

Big Celebration

Oops there seems to be one more screen I can't delete:

users.php?mode=new

That invites you to sign up. Don't know how they would find it but a websavvy person might.

RickW

Forum User
I know this is a really old thread, but I needed to completely disable new user registration because I'm getting spammed to death. Open users.php, and comment out these 2 sections:

Text Formatted Code
case 'create':
//    $display .= createuser (COM_applyFilter ($HTTP_POST_VARS['username']),
//                            COM_applyFilter ($HTTP_POST_VARS['email']));
    break;

Text Formatted Code
case 'new':
/*    $display .= COM_siteHeader ('menu', $LANG04[22]);
    // Call custom registration and account record create function
    // if enabled and exists
    if ($_CONF['custom_registration'] AND (function_exists('custom_userform'))) {
        $display .= custom_userform('new');
    } else {
        $display .= newuserform();
    }  
    $display .= COM_siteFooter();       */
    break;

I think this should cripple the registration process, but allow existing users to login through users.php and allow profile pages to function properly.

www.antisource.com

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
... or you could use the handy Disable New Registrations option in the configuration (aka $_CONF['disable_new_user_registration']) that we've had for a few versions now ...

bye, Dirk

RickW

Forum User
Quote by: Dirk

... or you could use the handy Disable New Registrations option in the configuration (aka $_CONF['disable_new_user_registration']) that we've had for a few versions now ...

Oh good. When I get my install updated I will be sure to use that. Mr. Green
www.antisource.com

All times are EDT. The time is now 11:54 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content