Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Thursday, April 25 2024 @ 10:19 am EDT

Geeklog Forums

mail.php

Anonymous

Anonymous
Geekloggers-

I am running Geeklog v1.3.7 on Windows 2000 with mySQL v3.23.53 and PHP 4.2.3. Everything is working great except for the Mail Utility (Mail Users) function.

When I attempt to send a mail to any group with the utility I receive an error message. For instance: "Warning: Server Error in D:/inetpub/wwwroot/public_html/admin/mail.php on line 182. Successfully sent 0 messages and unsuccessfully sent 1 messages. " Line 182 appears to land in this code:

Text Formatted Code
  if (!mail($til, stripslashes ($vars['subject']),
          stripslashes ($vars['message']), $headers)) {
      $failures[] .= $til;
  } else {
      $successes[] = $til;    
  }

I haven't manipulated anything in mail.php and all the other mail-related features of Geeklog work flawlessly. Nightly digests are mailed to all users without a problem, users receive their signup e-mails without a problem, and admin receives submission notifications without a problem. And yet, this problem lingers.

I have followed the notes I can find here regarding this subject, but from what I can tell, most seem to suggest that /n used in messages instead of /r/n had caused a problem for Windows users, but I note that in the newest release, /r/n appears in place of /n anyway so I am struggling to find something to fix. I am new to PHP and Geeklog and it should be noted that this problem has migrated with me from 1.3.6 to 1.3.7 so its probably just something I forgot to configure in Geeklog. The closest posting I can find to this might be here, but I see there is not answer to that query as of today.

I sincerely hope this isn't a dumb thing I missed in the manual or on a board that I should have seen so as not to waste anyone's time, but I'm lost for the moment.

Thanks much!

Anonymous

Anonymous
I don't know if this will fix your problem, but you might want to try it out. Like others, I also experienced mail problems with a Windows 2000 server. Replacing the n with rn, as is now included in 1.3.7, fixed the mail feature in most places. Like you though, I still had problems in the mail.php file. My server didn't like the combining of a name with the email address. So, I replaced this section of code which appears right above what you pointed out. <old code> if (!isset($A['fullname'])) { $til .= $A['username']; } else { $til .= $A['fullname']; } $til .= '<' . $A['email'] . '>'; </old code> with this line only: <new code> $til .= $A['email']; </new code> After doing this, the mail utility then worked. Have you tried emailing someone using their profile? It's been awhile, but I think that is the other place where the name and email address are combined that I ended up having to make a similiar fix.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Great! That worked. Thanks for the advice and help. I haven't tried e-mailing someone using their profile as you mentioned, but I will look into that also. In the meantime everything seems to be great! Thanks again!

Anonymous

Anonymous
Greetings: I also applied the fix and all seems well other than emailing the author of a story. I looked in profile.php but am not clear what needs to be change as the code is not the same as mail.php. Could you please post the fix you used for profile.php. Regards with Thanks PS New user are emailed their passwords, it appears this may also be affected, has this been your experience?

Anonymous

Anonymous
After applying the fix my other mail related functions (including mailing new users their passwords) seem to be working fine. Wasn't sure from your note if the issue appeared after you applied the fix or not.

Anonymous

Anonymous
To fix the mail feature in a person's profile, try this: Inside the file profiles.php, under the function contactemail change this one line of code only from: <old code> $RET = @mail($A['username'] . ' <' . $A['email'] . '>', $subject, </old code> to this: <new code> $RET = @mail($A['email'], $subject, </new code> "I also applied the fix and all seems well other than emailing the author of a story. I looked in profile.php but am not clear what needs to be change as the code is not the same as mail.php." I missed that one. Let me know if you find any other place that doesn't work. I thought I tested them all out, but I guess I missed at least one. I'll play around with the email story tonight and figure out the fix.

Anonymous

Anonymous
Well, actually I'll play around with it tomorrow. I forgot it was New Year's Eve....party time.

Anonymous

Anonymous
I have applied the fixes described in this thread and they have fixed most of the email problems (with the exception of **), however when I select a story and then attempt to email the author (via profiles.php I believe) the email is not sent. I was assuming that ** would address the profiles.php problem. I have made changes to users.php and mail.php but NOT profiles.php. Thanks for you attention to this problem:-)) =============== ** After doing this, the mail utility then worked. Have you tried emailing someone using their profile? It's been awhile, but I think that is the other place where the name and email address are combined that I ended up having to make a similiar fix. ==============

Anonymous

Anonymous
Thanks for the info that fixed profiles.php. I believe the new user passwords problem is not related to GL and maybe an internal mail problem. All good things to you in the New Year and beyond:-))

Anonymous

Anonymous
What? You're still having problems with the new users getting passwords? I know that for sure works on mine. I don't remember modifying that particular section, but I'll do a compare tomorrow to see if I did. Are you getting any error messages or does it look like it's being sent but never arrives? I thought all this time I was the one with a very testy server. lol

All times are EDT. The time is now 10:19 am.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content