Welcome to Geeklog, Anonymous Tuesday, April 23 2024 @ 09:31 pm EDT

Geeklog Forums

Is it possible to subscribe articles?

Anonymous

Anonymous
I know, that is possible to send an article to user But is it possible to subscribe articles for registered users? Joanna

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
Sure. What you need is cron and the ability to call PHP scripts from a cronjob. In the directory where your config.php lies, you'll find a file called "emailgeeklogstories". In this file, you need to set the path to your lib-common.php file. Next, you need to set $_CONF['emailstories'] = 1; in your config.php. Now every user will have a new section in their Display Preferences where they can select topics which they will get emailed. You need to set up a cronjob to call "emailgeeklogstories" once a day. All the users which selected topics to be emailed to them, will then get a digest email with all the new stories of the day. As of Geeklog 1.3.6, you can also use the variable $_CONF['emailstorieslength'] to set what the users will see in this email: It's either only the title, the complete intro text of the article, or a certain amount of characters from the introtext. A link to the story is always included. A word of warning: The first time you activate this, ALL stories in your Geeklog database are considered new - so the first email may be quite large ... bye, Dirk

jgacka

Forum User
Chatty
A word of warning: The first time you activate this, ALL stories in your Geeklog database are considered new - so the first email may be quite large ... is it work like this for each new subscriber?? it can be very cofusing after a month Frown Is there any possibility to change it?? J.

Dirk

Site Admin
Admin
No, only when you activate the feature for the first time it will send out all the unsent "new" articles. Users who activate the daily digest later will only be sent the new stories from the day of their activation on. In cases like this (i.e. when the daily digest is activated after the site has been up for some time) I usually activate it for me, wait for the (huge) daily digest to arrive and only then tell people about it. bye, Dirk

All times are EDT. The time is now 09:31 pm.

• Normal Topic
  • Sticky Topic
  • Locked Topic
  • New Post
  • Sticky Topic W/ New Post
  • Locked Topic W/ New Post
  •  View Anonymous Posts
  •  Able to post
  •  Filtered HTML Allowed
  •  Censored Content